GLOSSARY

My hope is that throughout this book, if you have questions about a term that is used, you can use this as a reference point. 

If you are familiar with The Hunger Games, then most of these terms will be familiar, although there are a few that are specific to this Fanfiction. These terms are in alphabetical order to help. 

If you notice a certain word used in the book that you do not understand and cannot find it here, tell me and I will add it!

These definitions are also located and can be accessed on the internet (apart from my own terms).

GLOSSARY

Arena: The location of the Games. Each year's Hunger Games event takes place in a newly-designed Arena in a different part of the country of Panem. Previous years' Arenas are known tourist destinations. The site of each year's new Arena is unknown to the contestants and viewers until the Games actually commence. The landscape, climate, natural resources, and weapons available in each Arena setting are completely decided upon by the Gamemaker's.

Avox: A person who has been convicted of treason against The Capitol and subsequently punished by forcible removal of his or her tongue.

Capitol: The central government system of the nation of Panem. It is also the name for the government's primary city, which is located near the Rocky Mountains. The Capitol rules over the 13 subsidiary districts of Panem (Districts 1-12 and 14), all of which exist to provide some raw or manufactured goods or services to it. The leader of the Capitol is President Coriolanus Snow.

Districts: Zones of Panem which have been divided, contained, policed and assigned with manufacturing or agricultural chores to service the Capitol. There were formerly 14 districts of Panem, but after a quarrel between District 13 and the Capitol some years ago, the number of districts was formally reduced to 13. The fate of District 13 is reported by the Capitol to be utter annihilation, but some rumors suggest otherwise.

Escort: A Capitol official assigned to accompany and manage each district's male and female tributes as they are selected and prepared for The Hunger Games.

Gamemakers: Capitol persons responsible for constructing and officiating each year's Hunger Games event.

Hovercraft: Aerial vehicles employed by the Capitol for swift Transportation.

Hunger Games: An annual death-match event populated by a male and female tribute from ach of Panem's 13 districts and televised live across the Capitol's nationwide television system. Tributes are selected and trained by Capitol officials and then placed into an Arena designed by the Gamemakers. One victor—the last tribute standing—emerges from each Hunger Games event and is given a life of leisure and opulence as his or her reward for survival. Viewing the event is mandatory for all citizens of Panem, and the event was created by the Treaty of Treason decades ago to serve as annual punishment for the rebellion which District 13 participated in; the Games also serve to entertain citizens of the Capitol.

Muttation: Capitol-constructed animal monsters, which have sharp claws and teeth as well as characteristics which resemble human beings, such as eyes and coloring.

Panem: The name of the post-revolutionary country which sprung up, led by the Capitol and comprised of several districts. It is located across what was once known as North America.

Peacekeepers: Capitol officials charged with maintaining peace and order in the various districts of Panem.

Quarter Quell: Every 25 years, in celebration of the anniversary of the Treaty of Treason, The Hunger Games are given special treatment and titled Quarter Quells. These are usually elevated installments of the Games. For the 1st Quarter Quell, districts were allowed to vote in their tributes for the year. For the 2nd Quarter Quell, four tributes from each district were selected rather than the usual two. And the 3rd one had the tributes selected from the already existing pool of Victors in each District.

Reaping: The name of the annual district ceremonies wherein two tributes, a male and a female, are selected by lottery for entry into the Hunger Games. The reaping ceremonies are televised and conducted by each district's escort.

Slaughter-Child: A very common practice by large families in District 14, in which some of the children in a family are selected to volunteer for any Tesserae child in their family should they be reaped.

Sponsors: Persons who purchase items to be sent by miniature parachute to tributes during the Games. Sponsors can be very important to the survival of any given tribute.

Tessera(e): An optional exchange ticket in which a district citizen who is eligible for entry into The Hunger Games can receive extra food for his or her family in return for additional name entries into the reaping lottery. These are limited in number and frequency for each potential tribute and are completely voluntary, though many are forced to take it by needs to survive in their district.

Tesserae-Child: A very common practice by large families in District 14, in which some children are selected to take the Tessera for their family's needs once they are eligible—as long as there is a slaughter-child also of age and eligible for the Reaping.

Tributes: Those children selected to fight in The Hunger Games. One boy and one girl from each of the 13 districts are chosen to serve as tributes each year.

Victor's Village: A neighborhood located in each district which exists to house Hunger Games victors only. And sometimes, their families are allowed to move with them.

Youth: The age-group selected for participation in each year's Hunger Games. District youth ranging from ages 12-18 are eligible for each year's reaping.