Chapter 26 - Study Partner

I didn't sleep well after Ominis had asked me to visit Anne with him. I had only met Anne a couple of times and true, we seemed to hit it off straight away but after Sebastian had killed their uncle, I hadn't seen her since. Neither had Sebastian and it made me nervous to think of his reaction if he knew we would be seeing her after she had refused to speak to him all this time.

When sleep finally overcame me, it caused me to oversleep and next thing I knew I was half running to the DADA tower, brushing my hair out with my fingers and hastily tucking my shirt into my skirt and doing up my tie.

I burst into the classroom, causing all the students to turn and stare at me.

"Professor!" I panted trying to catch my breath. "I'm sorry, I overslept!"

Professor Hecat merely stared back with a disapproving look.

"Take a seat please, Miss Hughes." She said gesturing her hand to the only free seat left and my heart sank. Of course it was next to Sebastian.

I hesitantly made my way to the seat, ignoring everyones stares. I placed my bag down and sat right on the edge so I wasn't too close to Sebastian but already my head was swimming from his scent. I peeked at him under my lashes but he had his eyes focused on the book in front of him as if he was unaware anyone had actually taken a seat beside him.

"As I was saying..." Professor Hecat began and I flicked through my text book to the subject we were studying today and saw it was the Patronus charm something I had never mastered.

The lesson seemed to drag on and Sebastian kept acting like he was oblivious anyone had sat next to him.

"Homework," Professor Hecat spoke out before the bell rang, causing students to groan, "the person you are currently sat with, you will partner up with to write an assignment of the history of the Patronus charm and its uses and to begin mastering the spell yourselves, ready for next weeks lesson." She instructed as the bell rang. I let out the biggest groan as people began scurrying around.

"Bad luck." A deep voice beside me said. I peered at Sebastian who was packing away his things.

"Tell me about it." I muttered but I was certain I caught a smirk as he swung his bag over his shoulder and left.

When I left the classroom, Ominis and Imelda were waiting.

"Hey thanks guys on waking me up and saving me a seat!" I snapped throwing my nose up into the air and barging by them. I heard Imelda chuckle.

Later that day I was feeling stubborn and decided I would write and attempt the charm without Sebastian. I sat in my favourite corner of the library, parchment and books at the ready and began to make a start when I heard a shuffle. I looked up and almost forgot how to breathe. Sebastian was leaning against a bookcase, arms folded and frowning.

"You do realise, we are supposed to do this assignment together?" He asked.

"Uh, I'm doing my History of Magic essay." I lied and he knew I had because he smirked and shook his head.

"You're an awful liar, Hughes."

"Fine, but I just wanted to make a start." I snapped.

"Well lucky for you, I do as well." He said as he straightened up and pulled out a chair beside me and sat.

"You? Make an early start on an assignment? Yeah right." I chuckled looking back down at my parchment. At that moment I felt his leg bump into mine and it sent tingles all over my body.

Stop it, Hughes.

"Well, I knew you'd make an early start so here I am." He said arms spread as if he was presenting himself and I chuckled as I pushed a book beside him so he could begin the research while I wrote.