Chapter 22 - Maybe

Halloween had crept up and everyone was a buzz as Gryffindor had decided to have a Halloween party, strictly for the sixth and seventh years. Unfortunately Garreth and Natty pestered me relentlessly about going.

"Look, I just don't fancy it." I groaned at the Gryffindor table at breakfast, pouring myself a tea.

"But it won't be the same if you don't come, please come?" Garreth begged.

"Fine. But I'm not dressing up!" I said, wagging a finger at Garreth. He beamed.

"You're getting as grumpy and boring as Gaunt." He said as he turned back to his cereal. I rolled my eyes, choosing to ignore his comment about my dearest friend. 

The party was going to be that night and I wasn't sure if anyone else from my house was going but I wasn't surprised when I returned to my dorm and saw Imelda getting ready. She wasn't happy at my lack of enthusiasm as I grabbed a simple black dress and then brushed out my waves.

We walked together to the Gryffindor common room and were soon faced with the large portrait of the fat lady who frowned down at us. Luckily a Gryffindor had just exited the room and let us pass through into the large cosy room.

"I do so wish I had been placed in this house." I commented as I stared around the room in awe.

"Ew. I'm going to pretend I didn't hear that blasphemy." Imelda snarled. 

I felt an arm wrap around my waist and looked up to see Garreth holding a drink out for me.

"Theres my favourite Slytherin." He said flirtatiously.

"Thats my cue to find someone else to talk to." Imelda said rushing off into the crowd. Garreth chuckled and he continued to stare at me, I took a big swig of the butterbeer, it tasting very strong, no doubt something had been added.

I gazed around the room and caught sight of Ominis talking to Grace and then locked eyes with Sebastian stood not too far away. He was stood alone, leaning against the wall, staring at me. I looked down as my face flushed warm.

"Come meet some of my friends." Garreth said as he steered me towards a small group of boys sat on one of the sofas.

They were all friendly enough but the talk of Quidditch bored me and I found myself wishing for my bed. 

"So wheres Nellie tonight?" One of the boys asked, flashing a smirk at Garreth. He must have been talking about Nellie Oggspire who was also in Gryffindor. Garreths face flushed as red as his hair and he looked at me nervously.

"Uh I'm not sure." He shrugged.

"Oh come on, I saw you both last night, all cosied up!" The boy teased. I looked up towards Sebastian who was engrossed in a conversation with a Gryffindor girl. I didn't want to hear anymore of this conversation and Garreth began stumbling on his words, eyes darting to me in panic. I sighed and stood up and decided my bed was the better idea.

"No Lily, wait!" Garreth called out as I began walking away.

"Please Garreth, just save it!" I snapped. Ominis had just pushed his way through.

"What's going on?" He asked and I noticed a few people, including Sebastian were staring.

"Nothing, nothing at all." I said before turning on my heel and darting out the common room and rushing to my dorm, slamming the door shut. 

Garreth and I weren't exactly an item so I had no right to be angry, after all we were just friends? But I still felt annoyed, especially as he looked so guilty, which to me meant he did see us heading as more. I just had enough of drama though. I wanted to hide in my bed for a long as possible and as I threw my pyjamas on, I was relieved to slide in between my sheets. I soon dozed off into a thankfully, dreamless, peaceful sleep.