Chapter 16 - Old Friend

Thankfully when I left my dorm, both Ominis and Imelda had gone. I knew classes had started but I didn't care. I headed towards the astronomy tower, stopping in front of a familiar blank, brick wall, it melted to reveal a door. I pushed the door open, happy to spend my day where no one would find me.

I had sat on the stone bench in the vivarium, watching the beasts. The niffler happily rolling around in glee with the gold I had given him. Watching the Phoenix fly so beautifully across the blue sky. I closed my eyes, happy and content as the sun warmed my cheeks. I didn't know where Deek was but I was glad to be alone. My mind was reeling about the night before. The affection and comfort Sebastian had given me, that we had spoken for the first time in over a year. The look on Ominis face when Sebastian had quite clearly tried to wind him up and succeeding. Imelda's heated conversation with Ominis, it sounded like she had scolded him for his treatment and distance towards me. I was happy to be away from the drama for a while.

I checked my watch, it had gone mid afternoon and I knew I couldn't hide forever. I stood up deciding I had better make at least one class. Defence Against the Dark Arts was in ten minutes. I hurried my way there and joined everyone as they filed in. I saw Ominis take his usual seat by Grace but his head lifted up hopefully as I passed him, I ignored him and sat at an empty desk. I unpacked my parchment, quill and books from my bag when I heard someone dump their bag on the floor and throw themself in the seat next to me. I looked towards them, maybe it was Imelda and she was going to gruel me again. I was shocked to see Sebastian beside me. He flashed me a brilliant smile.

"Can I help you?" I demanded.

"Well, every other seat is full, your friend Imelda is sat by Andrews and unfortunately this was the only empty seat." He began pulling things from his bag. I groaned but then Professor Hecat walked in.

"Today, we will be perfecting the spell protego." She said as she walked to the front of the class. I heard a whine from the back.

"Protego? We already know how to cast Protego!" Leander complained. Quick as a flash, Professor Hecat spun on her heel, want pointed towards him.

"LEVIOSO!" She shouted. I turned to see Leander floating in the air. The class burst into laughter. Leander crashed with a thump back into his seat. Professor Hecat was grinning.

"Clearly not Mr Prewett, the importance of Protego is being prepared and ready." He folded his arms, pouting. "Right up you get, partner up with there person sat next to you and practice casting protego." This meant partnering up with Sebastian.

We stood and Professor Hecat waved her wand as desks, chairs and bags flew to the sides of the room. Partners split and stood at opposite sides of the room.

"Lets see your best then, Hughes." Sebastian had said with a broad smile as he made his way opposite me.

"Yeah lets not forget, when I thrashed you and took your top duellist title." I reminded him. He cocked his head. I raised my wand.

Let him have it.

"Confringo!"

"Protego!" He deflected it. "Going in strong I see Hughes. Lets not forget who taught you that spell." He was grinning.

"Diffindo!"

"Protego!"

"Incendio!"

"Protego!" He deflected it each time and I was becoming agitated and he was loving it. He suddenly flicked his wand.

"Confringo!" He shouted.

"Protego!" I shouted back, just in time as it deflected his spell. He tried a few more times but I deflected each one.