Book 4 - Chapter 9

Hello everyone!

I'm here to apologize in advance for how long this chapter is. I didn't want to split it up because it's all one thing right after another, so - I'm sorry - but you all probably know by now I'm a fiend for writing long chapters hehehe. 

So, here is your warning! This is the longest chapter thus far in the series and clocks in at a whopping 13,182 words! 

Also! Thanks for over 9.5K reads! 10k is creeping up on me and I can't even fathom it!  If everything lines up just right, you may all get a 10k special of something either very good, or very bad happening (depending on your perspective)!

~Erin 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Don't tell your mother you've been gambling," Mr. Weasley implored Fred and George as they all made their way slowly down the purple-carpeted stairs.

"Don't worry, Dad," said Fred gleefully, "we've got big plans for this money. We don't want it confiscated."

Mr. Weasley looked for a moment as though he was going to ask what these big plans were, but seemed to decided, upon reflection, that he didn't want to know.

They were soon caught up in the crowds now flooding out of the stadium and back to their campsites. Remus had a death grip on Ellie's hand as they walked, and it seemed nobody except for him had noticed Ellie's shaken visage, and were all too caught up in celebration. Raucous singing was borne toward them on the night air as they retraced their steps along the lantern-lit path, and leprechauns kept shooting over their heads, cackling and waving their lanterns.

When they finally reached the tents, nobody felt like sleeping at all, and given the level of noise around them, turning in for the night was not an option. Ellie took only one stumbling step into the tent before Remus tugged on her hand, pulled her back outside, and then into the second, empty tent. Through the air, Ellie could hear Mr. Weasley pouring out hot cocoas, everyone arguing enjoyably about the match.

"What has gotten into you?" Remus asked, voice low, trying not to draw any attention from the opposite tent.

"I don't know," Ellie answered truthfully, voice just as low.

Remus shot her a look like he thought she was lying.

"I really - I really don't know, dad. I - I don't -" Ellie began to stutter, her head swirling with thoughts, confused, and upset.

"Come here," Remus said, pulling Ellie back into his chest. "What is it, darling?"

"The lights," Ellie said, sounding slightly shell-shocked. "The lights, and the noise. It was too much and - and -"

"And what?"

"And I was gone. I wasn't in the Top Box anymore. And - Mr. Roberts. When he was obliviated. . ."

Remus didn't say anything. He was waiting for Ellie to continue, rubbing firm hand up and down her back, listening, comforting. But, Ellie didn't continue.

"You were gone," Remus finally repeated, "where were you?"

"The Chamber of Secrets," Ellie mumbled.

Remus froze. His hand stopped moving.

"I don't know why," Ellie said, continuing on. "I don't understand. I haven't thought about that in months. It's just like, like I've suddenly remembered it. But, instead of remembering it, I'm re-living it. And that last one, it was worse - worse than the nightmares ever were. The nightmares were fake, I could tell the difference. . . I could tell when I was there, looking at myself. But these - these - I'm there. I'm me, the real me, living it again."