Book 3 - Chapter 29

Everyone stood, minds blank with shock, transfixed with horror. The last rays of the setting sun were casting a bloody light over the long shadowed grounds. Then, behind them, they heard a wild howling.

Ellie swiveled on the spot.

"Hagrid," Harry muttered. Harry ripped the cloak off his head, revealing himself and Hermione fully and he made to turn back towards the hut, but Hermione seized him around one arm, and Ron grabbed the other. Ellie's chest had started to rise and fall faster than it should've been, eyes eyes still searching the line of trees that hid the rest of the Forbidden Forest behind them

"We can't," said Ron. He was paper white. "He'll be in worse trouble if they know we've been to see him. . ."

Hermione's breathing was shallow and uneven.

"How - could - they?" she choked. "How could they -?

Ellie saw a bush rustle and that was enough for her turn back around and put her hands out on her friends chests and push them up the slopes.

"We've got to go," she said, voice unwavering, "now."

They set off back towards the castle. There was no light left on the grounds.

"Scabbers, keep still," Ron hissed, clamping his hand over his chest pocket. The rat was wriggling madly. Ron came to another sudden halt, trying to force Scabbers deeper into his pocket. "What's the matter with you, you stupid rat? Stay still - OUCH! He bit me!"

"Ron, be quiet!" Hermione whispered urgently. "Fudge'll be -"

"We need to walk," Ellie insisted.

She looked over her shoulder. It was very obvious Scabbers was hiding from something, he was on the run, and he very much wanted to continue being on the run, but he was being forced into Ron's pocket. All Ellie need to do was get him into the castle and everything would be okay.

"He won't - stay - put -"

Scabbers was terrified. He was writhing with all his might, trying to break free from Ron's grip.

"What's the matter with him?"

"Let me see him -" Ellie said, trying to get a look at Scabbers. She was ready to seize him around the neck even if it choked him.

"Erm -" Harry said very loudly. Everyone turned to look at him. Harry was looking at something with glinting, eerie eyes, slinking towards them in the darkness. It was Crookshanks.

"Crookshanks!" Hermione moaned. "No, go away, Crookshanks! Go away!"

The cat was getting nearer -

"Ron!" Ellie yelled, jumping on top of him. Trying to pin the rat between them.

"Scabbers - NO!"

Ellie rolled to her elbows on the grass, tracking the rat that had slipped between Ron's clutching fingers and scampered across her body to get away from them. In one bound, Crookshanks sprang after him. In another, Ron pelted away into the darkness. In a third, Ellie was up on her feet, kicking grass behind her as she took off. Hermoine moaned and a second later her and Harry were sprinting behind them.

"Get that rat, Ronald!" Ellie shouted. The cool summer air was whipping through her hair as she sprinted. Ron's footsteps were thundering along ahead of her.

"Get away from him - get away - Scabbers, come here -"

There was a loud thud.

"Gotcha! Get off, you stinking cat -"