Book 4 - Chapter 7

"Surprised to see you here," Cedric said lowly, dropping Ellie's arm.

Everyone else was untangling their limbs and getting to their feet. They had arrived on what appeared to be a deserted stretch of misty moor.

"Good surprised, or bad surprised?" Ellie asked jokingly.

Both her and Cedric knew Ellie was no fan of Quidditch, so it was uncharacteristic of her to attend the Quidditch World Cup, but as of lately, the girl was attending many Quidditch events, despite her displeasure of the sport - accompanied by Cedric Diggory, her after Quidditch party-pal. The pair of them got along quite well for one reason in particular, the ability for the pair of them to see past each of the other's reputations.

"Good," Cedric laughed. "Definitely good," he added in a mumble as his father clapped him on the shoulder. Fred was up on his feet and by Ellie's side seconds later, looking menacingly at Cedric.

In front of the group, was a pair of tired and grumpy-looking wizards, one of whom was holding a large gold watch, the other a thick roll of parchment and a quill. Both were dressed as Muggles, though very inexpertly: The man with the watch wore a tweed suit with thigh-length galoshes; his colleague, a kilt and a poncho.

"Morning, Basil," said Mr. Weasley, picking up the boot and handing it to the kilted wizard, who threw it into a large box of used Portkeys beside him. Ellie could see an old newspaper, an empty drinks can, and a punctured football.

"Hello there, Arthur," said Basil wearily. "Not on duty, eh? It's all right for some. . . We've been here all night. . . You'd better get out of the way, we've got a big party coming from the Black Forest at five-fifteen. Hang on, I'll find your campsite. . . Weasley. . . Weasley. . . " He consulted his parchment list. "About a quarter of a mile's walk over there, first field you come to. Sit manager's called Mr. Roberts. Diggory. . . second field. . . ask for Mr. Payne."

"Thanks, Basil," said Mr. Weasley, as he beckoned everyone to follow him.

They set off across the deserted moor, unable to make out much through the mist.

"Summer alright, Dracula?" Cedric asked Ellie quietly as they walked. "I - uh, I heard what happened with. . ." Cedric looked awkwardly up at Remus's back. He was walking in front of them, next to Mr. Weasley and Mr. Diggory.

"Oh yeah," Ellie said lightly. "It's mostly healed up. Took a minute but, oh well."

"Well, I'm glad." Fred tutted loudly from Ellie's other side. "Alright, Weasley?" Cedric asked around Ellie with raised eyebrows.

"Perfectly fine," Fred grumbled.

"Go walk with George, clear your head," Ellie said to Fred, pushing him away and forward slightly to walk next to his twin. "He's had a rough morning," Ellie added softly to Cedric.

"I can see that," Cedric laughed lightly. "I hope I'm not making anything worse."

"You're not. He'll get over it," Ellie replied. "Excited for the Quidditch?" she asked, trying to change the subject off of Fred and his grumpy mood.

"For the Quidditch?" Cedric echoed incredulously. "Have Weasley and I taught you nothing?"

"You've taught me -" - Ellie took a breath in - "that I was correct in assuming I don't like Quidditch. That last match - it was too much for me. I don't like the idea of anyone getting hurt doing something so stupid. Yes, lets fly around a hundred feet in the air and hurl balls at each other's heads, sounds like fun."

Ellie scoffed and rolled her eyes at Cedric who only chuckled and then leaned forward a little, making his voice go closer to Ellie's ear. He was eyeing Remus's back still as he spoke.