Chapter 32

And the intrigue begins. I hope you guys like it 🥰

3 months later.

Darya sat on her mother's left and ran a hand over her belly. Her child was very active that day, rolling and kicking up a storm. She had been uncomfortable for most of the day and being at the council meeting was not helping improve her mood. Some of the lords were trying to get her mother to agree to certain things, they had been trying for moons, but now they were trying a bit harder, thinking that she would cave.

"Your grace," Elmo Tully gave her mother a reassuring smile. "Princess Jaehaera's marriage to my son will ensure that any rumors about her being the daughter of a traitor will be dispersed and it will be a good marriage, especially with the unfortunate circumstances surrounding the princess."

Darya narrowed her eyes and flinched when the babe kicked again, hitting her ribs. Her voice was hard as she glared at the lord. "What circumstances are those, my lord?"

The man cleared his throat. "Princess Jaehaera is the daughter of a traitor, no one will want her in their family."

"Princess Jaehaera is a princess of the blood, my nice, and a dragon rider." Her mother's voice was like a whip, making the Riverland man flinch. "Any man will be lucky to be married to her!"

"Your grace," The man swallowed and tried to backtrack. "I did not mean..."

"I know what you meant." Her mother glared at the man. "My nice will not be used as a political tool. She is a child and there will be no marriage without her mother's approval."

Darya knew her aunt Helaena would not force her daughter to marry, and neither would her mother. The lord seemed to understand he had crossed a line and nodded quickly before backing down. Darya was happy once the meeting finished and smiled at her father when he helped her stand up and ran a hand over her belly. Everyone in her family appeared excited about her son or daughter and Darya could not wait for the babe to be born.

"My love," Her mother appeared once all the lords had left and gave her a worried look. "I think you should retire to your chambers. You looked very tired and I did not miss the way you were flinching during the meeting."

"It is nothing to worry about." She gave her parents a reassuring smile, not liking the worried look on their faces. "The babe was very active all night and would not allow me to sleep. He or she is also very active right now and keeps kicking me."

"Well, there is nothing else for you to do today." Her mother cupped her face. "Get some sleep before your husband goes on a warpath."

"Aemond is in the training grounds with the boys, he should be busy for a bit." She did not tell her mother that he had wanted her to stay in her chambers that morning, he knew she had not slept well the night before. She had convinced him that she would be fine, but now she was rethinking it. She rubbed her temple and gave her mother a tired smile. "But I will take you up on your offer and get some rest."

"Good." Her mother kissed the side of her head. "Do not worry about anything, we will handle any problems that arise."

Darya nodded and used her hand to cover a yawn. She walked to her chambers, not missing how carefully her guards were watching her. She must look really bad if they were that concerned about her. She gave the two men a small smile before entering her chambers.

"Princess." She gave Tara a tired look and sat down on the sofa, rubbing her belly and trying to get her child to tire, at least for a couple of hours. The woman gave her a concerned look. "Are you well? You look very tired."