Chapter 24

Sorry guys, work was crazy last night and I had not time to write.

Darya makes a decision. Rhaenyra meets with Aegon and Aemond. I hope you guys like it 🥰

4 days later.

Darya had not been able to stop thinking about her mother's words, the things Aemond had promised in exchange for her. Her mother was getting antsy, Darya could see the look on the woman's face every time she saw her. If she said no to Aemond's proposition her mother would accept it and support her choice, but what would happen after that? She would be dooming the whole realm into a war that would kill a lot of people. She could not do that to her family and the rest of the kingdom.

"You have been standing out here for a while." Rhaena stepped beside her and gave her a small smile before turning to look at the waves crashing on the shore. "What are you thinking so hard about?"

"A decision I have to make." Her mother had not told anyone about Aemond's offer, she did not want outside people to influence Darya's decision. But Darya knew that there was not really a decision, she could not be the one who sent the kingdom into war. "Aemond offered my mother the crown."

"He did?" Rhaena looked completely shocked. "What did he ask for in return?"

Darya let out a sigh and answered without looking at her stepsister. "Me."

Rhaena's eyebrows almost hit her hairline. "What do you mean?"

"He asked for my hand in marriage in exchange for giving my mother her crown." Darya turned to face her stepsister. "She is waiting for my decision."

Rhaena gave her a worried look. "What have you decided?"

"I do not have much of a choice. If I say no I will be plunging the realm into war."

Rhaena gave her a pitying look and Darya hated it. She was not afraid of Aemond and knew that even after that had happened he would not hurt her. She was afraid of the things he made her feel, the way he could get her body to respond to him. Darya had lied to her mother, told her that she hated Aemond, that she did not feel anything else for him. Her mother knew she was lying, but had not called her out on it. Darya wished all she felt for Aemond was hate, that would make things much easier. What hurt her the most was that every time she felt a sliver of love or even tenderness for him she felt like a traitor. She was betraying Arrax and Jace's memory.

Darya left Rhaena standing on the beach and headed to the chamber of the painted table. She knew her mother would be there, meeting with her advisors. The guards let her in without question and the entire room went silent. Everyone turned to look at her and some of the men looked a bit confused. While Darya was allowed to attend the small council meetings, she had only been attending the ones that had to do with the war.

Her mother gave her a confused look before her eyes widened when she recognized the look on her face. Darya gave her a nod. "I accept."

She saw her mother swallow as every man and Rhaenys turned to the queen and gave her a questioning look. Her mother did not look away from her and while the look in her eyes was not pity exactly, it was sadness. Darya dropped into a curtsy before leaving without saying anything else. Her mother would be meeting with Aemond and Aegon the next day. Soon her mother would be queen and Darya would be Aemond's wife.