Chapter 58

"I really don't know about this Alastor." Charlie said.

"Now my dear, we had a deal." He reminded her. "I tell you a story now you tell me one. And not keeping your word is a prime example of poor character."

"I know but I'm just so used to keeping it to myself and...And well I'm a little afraid you'll laugh at me. That you'll think I'm a freak."

"Darling, look at me, look at where I live, look at what I have to live with. You really think you're the freak here?"

"Hmm...Good point."

"But I am flattered that my opinion means that much to you. Rest assured though, I'm the last person to look down on someone who's different. Trust me."

"Alright." She sighed. "I feel totally ridiculous about doing this but here goes."

Charlie closed her eyes and thought back to the very beginning. When she had first lost her parents and moved in with Stolas, and she had gotten tired of crying about everything. She had started to imagine a world of her own, where someone was having the same problems as her. Then she came up with a story.

"Once in a kingdom far away, there was a couple who had a baby girl and they were so happy because the wife had gone through several miscarriages, they were afraid that she could never carry a full term pregnancy. When she was born her parents thought that she was perfect and decided to build a garden full of flowers in the world to in honor of her."

"What did the garden look like?" Alastor asked.

"It was the most lovely place. Lush, green and colorful. The flowers were a wilderness of gold and purple, and violet blue and flaming scarlet and lilies were white or white and ruby. But it wasn't just the flowers that made it so special, there were also monarch butterflies as blue as forget-me nots and rainbow colored hummingbirds. Then there was the way that the garden was angled to where you could see the red and gold sun rise and set at just the perfect moment. Where the sky would turn pink, lavender, and orange."

"Charlie."

"Yes?"

"I think you might want to open your eyes now."

Charlie did and to her astonishment everything she just described about the garden was there. All the flowers in bloom, the humming birds and butterflies floating about, the sky now painted pink, lavender, and orange, and above in the center was the red-gold sun shining down.

"Oh my God." She marveled in awe. "This is...This is just like how I always dreamed it. Did you make this?"

"No. You did."

"Me? But how?"

"Simple, you created it in your mind and put your whole heart into it, and now it's here. And may I say not bad for a beginner. Not bad at all."

He looked up at the sun she had created and for a moment he almost shuddered. It had been far too long since he had last saw the sun. In fact he had almost forgotten what the sun looked like.

"Don't know why I never thought to make a sun myself. I did make a moon."

"You mean you made that moon?" Charlie asked. "The one that always stays in the shy, even during the day time."

"Well yes. When I first escaped Levana I saw that the sky was either pitch black or pure white and well that's dreadfully boring. So I started to think about the moon and how on Summer nights my mother and I would watch it as we counted fireflies that glowed in the night. Next thing I know there's a full moon in the sky and heavens did that make Levana mad. That's when she found out I had a gift brain like her brother's and now we know for certain that you do too."