Chapter 7

Stolas wouldn't be home till past twelve that night, which meant that Charlie was in charge of getting dinner ready for Octavia and herself. She served PB&J sandwiches and potato chips with a glass of apple juice to drink. A simple meal that would keep them filled up until breakfast the next morning. After dinner they did their homework, Charlie watched TV while Octavia played with her toys. When it got late, Charlie ran a bath for Octavia and sent her to bed then took a shower before retiring to her own bed. She wasn't sleepy just yet so she decided to do a little reading. She would normally re-read a book that she was well versed in because that was less likely to keep her awake, but her curiosity led her to read the new book Gina had given her instead.

She sat up in her bed, opened up the new book, choosing to look over the illustrations of the page first. This book had quite an unusual collection of pictures. So many images of obscure creatures, some were funny and impish, a few were grotesque and petrifying, and others were among the most beautiful creatures she had ever seen. In a storybook that is.

Once upon a time...

There was another world that existed behind the mirrors of the world where mortals would dwell. One where the inhabitants sang and danced, played nasty tricks and thought of sneaky schemes. Where houses were filled with calliopes and music boxes, mechanical dolls and cuckoo clocks. But also filled with deep tunnels, basements and dudgeons that had darkness at every corner. Beautiful flowers and green trees grew yet sharp thorns and shadowy trees grew along with them.

This was a world created by imagination, here anything is possible and things are not always what they seem. Your dreams could be made real but so could your nightmares. This kingdom could bring a smile to your face or tears to your eyes, granting wishes or realizing fears. It was here where wonder and terror go together hand in had.

To survive in this world, you must keep your wits, have faith, and guard your heart and your eyes carefully.

"Well that's an interesting way to start off a story." Charlie thought.

She was just about to turn the next page when she heard the floor creak, followed by the creaking of her door opening. She sat up quickly, at first startled by who it could be, but she became less tense upon seeing that it was only Octavia standing in the doorway.

"Octavia are you trying to give me a heart attack?" Charlie asked her. "What are you doing up at this hour? You should have been asleep by nine."

"I couldn't sleep." She said clutching her beloved plush owl whom she had named Prince Orion. "I'm scared and Daddy isn't home yet. Can I sleep with you?"

Charlie gave a little huff, but she pulled back the covers and moved over to make some room. Octavia quickly crawled in next to her.

"What scared you?" Charlie said covering Octavia with the blanket. "Monsters in the closet again?"

Clearly this was not a one-time occasion.

"No, monsters in my mirror." Octavia answered.

"In your mirror? Well that's one I've never heard before. What did they look like?"

"I don't know. I couldn't see them and I couldn't hear them but I know they're there. They're watching me."

"And how do you know that if you can't see or hear them?"

"Because I believe they're real. You once told me that kids like me can know special things because they believe in things that grown ups normally wouldn't."