𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟖

ZADE

I'm gently roused from my slumber by a light knock on the bedroom door. Rubbing the sleep from my eyes, I sit up as Alexander's voice filters through the door, informing me that it's time for a family meeting.

With a resigned sigh, I quickly shake off the last remnants of sleep and begin to get ready for the day ahead. As I dress in my usual attire—a crisp black tuxedo—I can't help but feel a sense of apprehension gnawing at the edges of my consciousness. The prospect of discussing the engagement party and wedding arrangements fills me with a mix of nerves and excitement, knowing that the decisions we make today will shape the course of our future.

With a final glance in the mirror to ensure that everything is in place, I make my way downstairs to join the rest of the family. As I descend the staircase, the sound of voices grows louder, signaling that the meeting has already begun.

Stepping into the room, I'm greeted by the sight of my parents, Elena, Alexander and Joshua gathered around the table, deep in conversation. A sense of anticipation hangs in the air, underscored by the gravity of the decisions that lie ahead.

Taking a seat at the table, I do my best to project an air of confidence, despite the turmoil churning inside me. As the discussion unfolds, I find myself lost in a whirlwind of plans and logistics, each detail of the engagement party and wedding meticulously scrutinized and debated.

"Zade," Joshua grabs my attention "It's good to have you back" he adds and I  nod. Just once.

"Son, it's time to discuss your wedding." My father begins. "Elena, over here, is your fiancée. You will be staying together in less than a month. You guys really need to plan your engagement party, which is less than two weeks. And if either of you plan not to get married, your inheritance will be frozen." He explains.

As my father's words echo through the room, a heavy silence falls over us all. The weight of his ultimatum hangs in the air, casting a shadow over the room and leaving me feeling paralyzed with uncertainty.

Opposite to me, I can feel Elena's gaze burning into me, her eyes searching mine for some semblance of reassurance. But as much as I want to offer her comfort, I find myself at a loss for words, grappling with the magnitude of the situation we now find ourselves in. It is then when I realize that she's wearing the necklace that I gave her that night. 

Staying together in less than a month. Planning an engagement party in less than two weeks. The weight of these expectations threatens to crush me, leaving me feeling suffocated beneath the weight of our circumstances.

But as I steal a glance at Elena, I see a flicker of determination in her eyes, a silent resolve that mirrors my own. Despite the challenges that lie ahead, I know that we'll face them together, united in our commitment to each other and our shared future.

After my parents and Elena leave, it's just Joshua, Alexander, and me. "Zade, I know you won't, but if by some chance you hurt her or make her cry," Joshua begins, his tone serious.

"You'll find yourself in a grave." Alexander finishes his uncle's sentence.

"And if I ever discover that she's in pain because of me, I won't hesitate to burn myself alive." I declare firmly and the men in front of me nod in understanding.

ELENA

I dial my friends' number to tell them to come over and after fifteen minutes, they did. I lead them to my room and I decide to tell them.

 "Hey, guys, can we talk for a minute?" I asked, feeling a knot tighten in my stomach as I sought out Summer and Olivia's attention.

"Of course, Elena. What's up?" Summer's concern was immediate, mirrored by Olivia's inquisitive expression.