Chapter 18 - Coordinates & Fear

Violenta stared down at the mighty heirloom before her, an enormous double-sided battle axe with a screaming skull fused from metal that connected the two blades. Intricate runes, foreign and unknown to her, covered the surface of the blades.

"According to the reports, the runes engraved on the savage's weapon illuminated when they drank the blood of our soldiers," said the soldier who had brought the weapon to her.

"Sir Demetrius Vaughan fought the foe valiantly," the soldier continued, his voice tinged with reverence. "He threw the demon-blooded giant overboard and disarmed him in the process. We presume he froze to death in the bitter, frozen sea."

"That is good news indeed; these barbaric giants received their just retribution," Violenta reflected, her voice tinged with satisfaction. "It appears our Father may love all his children, but surely He favors us," she added, her tone confident and proud. "How is Sir Demetrius faring?"

"He is stable now; our best healers are attending to him. However, the enemy managed to sever his shield arm with that nasty giant axe during combat," the soldier replied grimly.

"How unfortunate. May the Father's love guide his recovery," Violenta offered, her words steeped in customary courtesy. She then delegated the handling of the savage's weapon to her men and ascended to the upper deck to confer with her master-at-arms.

Octavia and Vincentio were engrossed in a conversation that carried weight. Violenta could sense the seriousness in the air. "Mistress Octavia, Vincentio," she acknowledged, opting not to use his title.

"Princess," Octavia greeted her, bowing slightly. Vincentio, however, made no move to bow.

"Ah, yes, Princess, how was the battle?" Vincentio inquired a hint of mockery in his tone.

"Where were you?" Violenta countered, her tone sharp.

"I was attending to my duties as captain if it pleases Your Highness," Vincentio replied, this time bowing mockingly.

"It does not please me. What were these 'captaincy duties'?" She inquired, her tone icy.

"Why, manning the cannons, ensuring morale is up, and, if I have time, making some tea. You know, staying alive, your highness. You see, I am not much of a fighter," Vincentio explained casually.

"A craven is what you are, spineless," she spat the words out contemptuously.

"Princess, I am sure if we all just take a step back," Octavia interjected, attempting to diffuse the tension.

"Well, you can thank me later, your highness. My quarters are right over there, as you know if you would ever like to know how good a real man can make you feel," he taunted.

Without a word, Violenta stepped forward and punched him on the bridge of his nose with her lobster-mailed fist, shattering it and causing blood to pour down his face.

"Vi!" Octavia shouted at her, shocked, as Violenta shook off her fist.

Vincentio recoiled, sobbing, as blood poured out of his nose. "Make sure the healers tend to him," Violenta said coolly, her tone unyielding.

"Princess... your father would not condone this behaviour," Octavia said in a motherly tone, her voice softening as she spoke those words.

"I am quite aware, Mistress," Violenta replied, striding up to where Vincentio lay writhing on the ground, still screaming in pain. She extended her hand towards his chest, and he flinched, recoiling in horror, bracing for another blow. However, he hesitated, frozen, as she reached once more for his chest, this time pulling out his pocket-handkerchief. She used it to wipe the blood off her gauntlet.