Chapter 4 - Whispers & War

The world around her teemed with life, the emerald forests stretching out as far as the eye could see, showcasing their enchanting splendor. Towering like sentinels that had witnessed centuries of life and death, the trees adorned themselves in a magnificent tapestry of green. The forest floor mirrored the untamed and wild essence of the creatures that lived within.

As she drew her bow, the forest seemed to hold its breath, anticipating the inevitable. With a swift, predatory motion, she released the arrow. TWANG! The arrow sliced through the stillness like a bird of prey seeking its target. Her heart raced as she watched it find its mark, hitting the buck right between the shoulder and sternum. Triumph gleamed in her eyes as she whispered, "I got it!"

Adorned in the traditional attire of the Elves within Tir na Douar, crafted from rawhide and fabrics woven from a variety of leaves sourced from the vibrant forest surrounding her. Her hair was elegantly bound with a band made of leaves, adorned with gracefully attached feathers. With her deep emerald eyes, Gwenitha Leafsong embodied the very spirit of the forest she called home.

With a muffled thud, the buck succumbed to the force of the arrow, coming to rest on the untamed forest floor. Beside the still-breathing buck, Gwenitha knelt, drawing a dirk crafted in the likeness of a giant thorn from her boot and mercifully ended the majestic beast's suffering. In a prayer-like whisper, she uttered, "Repoù bremañ," as she closed the creature's eyelids.

"Friota!" she called out into the woods. "C'mon, where are ya, girl?" After a moment, Friota emerged from the woods, a magnificent Ibex with resplendent horns twisted and curled, forming a living work of art. Friota reared up next to Gwenitha and her kill. Gwenitha carefully secured her prized game on Friota's broad back "C'mon girl we're going home now." She said with a soothing tone.

In the distance, Gwenitha surveyed the plumes of smoke gracefully rising from the moss-covered stone chimneys adorning the cottage. Encircled by a captivating garden, the surroundings boasted soft, lush green grass and an array of flowers, each differing in shapes, sizes, and colors. The cottage itself appeared to be crafted from the very plants of the forest, featuring walls reminiscent of grass and a roof adorned with river stones enveloped in rich green moss. As she drew nearer, an overwhelming sense of nostalgia enveloped her, embracing the cherished memories of her childhood.

"Prydwen!" Gwenitha's voice rang out, and a boy with a striking resemblance, no more than ten years old, emerged from the cottage. His vibrant red hair framed his youthful face, and his eyes, a vibrant shade of green, sparkled with youthful vigor. Clad in humble garments like his sister's, his growth was evident in the way he now stood nearly as tall as Gwenitha herself.

"Took you long enough," Prydwen quipped with a mischievous grin. Gwenitha playfully rolled her eyes. Prydwen had a knack for light-hearted banter. Together, they released Friota from her load and began the task of preparing the game they had brought home.

Prydwen lent a hand to her as they transported the buck inside. "Bout time you showed up!" Celyn quipped with a mocking grin.

"Ugh not you too, I just told Prydwen...I got the buck that's all that matters ain't it?"

"I guess so sister!"

Celyn, an imposing figure resembling his siblings, he towered over them, with arms and legs resembling sturdy tree trunks. In stark contrast, Gwenitha was a foot shorter with a slenderer build. While Gwenitha embodied agility and grace, Celyn exuded an aura of raw, deliberate power.

Gwenitha marveled as her brother effortlessly lifted the hefty buck, handling it as if it were a fawn. Celyn gently placed the game onto their rustic butcher's table, expertly preparing it for the evening's feast.