Are The Tides Turning?

Startled, we turned to find Lancel Lannister, dressed in his armor, approaching us with a frightening look. "Your Grace!" Reacting swiftly, I latched onto Sansa and pulled her back while Lancel approached Cersei. Sansa glanced at me and uttered, "why is he..." I motioned for her to remain quiet as Cersei asked, "what news?" Sansa remained silent as Lancel breathed in and out before saying, "the Imp has set the river afire. Hundreds of ships are burning, maybe more. Stannis' fleet was destroyed, but-" Cersei and I stared at him as he glanced away from me, saying, "but his troops have landed outside the city walls." Sansa latched onto my arm as I placed my hand over hers, stating, "we are safe here. Push his words from your mind and remember that we are safe."

Nodding, I squeezed her hand while Cersei coldly asked, "where is Joffrey?" Lancel and I shared a look of confusion as he replied, "he is on the battlements with Lord Tyrion." Cersei nodded before saying, "bring him back inside at once." Startled by her fevered order to bring Joffrey inside, I was surprised to see the confusion etched across Lancel's face as he said, "your Grace," only to be cut off by her shouting, "what?" Exhaling, he calmly declared, "the King's presence is good for morale," as she stared at him. I watched Lancel try not to fidget under her gaze. "Bring him back to his chambers now." From my peripheral, I watched Lancel nod and turn to leave before asking, "not here?" Rolling my eyes, I heard Cersei clench her teeth shut in irritation. "With the women and children? Do you want him to be mocked as a coward for the rest of his life?" He shook his head, uttering, "no, but I-" With a sharp, "now," Lancel nodded and raced out of the room, closing the door.

With heavy breaths, she stomped back to her seat and sat down before holding her cup out to the maid. The woman began to fill the cup while Sansa and I watched. When the cup was filled, Cersei brought it before her and coldly said, "when I told you about Ser Ilyn earlier, I lied. Do you want to hear the truth?" Neither Sansa nor I spoke as she sipped the wine. Swallowing, she breathed out and asked, "you want to know why he's here?" Again, neither my sister nor I invited her to elaborate when Cersei stared. "Do you have an idea, Ilyanna?" Nodding, I uttered, "I have a theory, your Grace." Her smile turned cold, saying, "do you want to tell your sister what that theory is? Or shall I be the villain?" I breathed and uttered, "your Grace, there are young ladies and children here. Would it not be kinder to let them think all will be well?" She stared at me and asked, "would you wish to be uninformed?" Sighing, I glanced away from her stormy green gaze. Breathing out, she stared at Sansa and said, "he's here for us. Stannis may take the city. He may take the throne, but he will not take us alive." She almost seemed satisfied, advising Sansa that she had previously ordered Ser Ilyn to kill all present in the room if the battle would turn in Stannis's favor. "Ilyanna, does she mean..." Hugging Sansa, I softly whispered, "I will not allow you to be harmed by him." She pulled back and stared at me while Cersei sipped her blood-red wine with a vacant look in her jade eyes. Pulling back, I brushed her hair away from her face and said, "go rest with Shae, Lehna, and Taria. I will sit with our Queen." Nodding, Sansa walked around me as Endia butted the back of my legs. I glanced at him with a sad smile before stepping forward to resume my former seat at Cersei's feet.

Endia sat beside me, watching the terrified women, children, and the silent guard in stony silence while the sounds of battle and men outside echoed into the secured chamber. Breathing in slow and deep breaths, I tried not to allow the peaceful mothers comforting their frightened children to bother me. Instead, I just ran the fingers of my left hand through Endia's fur while Cersei woke Tommen. He offered her a sluggish smile before asking, "is the battle over?" Before she could reply, we heard a voice from outside yell, "ladders!" Terrified, I hesitated as Endia glanced at me while Tommen hurried over to Cersei's arms. She hugged and whispered to the frightened child as Endia draped himself over my lap before butting his head into my stomach.