- 012

DYLAN'S POV
29th January, 2010

I woke up to the sound of my brother walking around the house loudly. He didn't naturally walk loud, I swear he stomped his feet on purpose just to wake me up. I yelled at him to shut up and walk like a normal person, before looking at the alarm clock on my bedside table. 6:55am. For fuck same, five minutes before my alarm was due to go off.

"May as well get up now," I whispered to myself, getting up and turning off the alarm clock so it wouldn't jump scare me in five minutes. I walked over to my chest of drawers, pulling out my outfit for the day, a pair of mid-rise skinny jeans and a long sleeved black shirt. Work outfits were boring.

I walked into the bathroom and brushed my teeth, splashing my face with cold water to try and wake myself up more. I looked at my eyes, bloodshot from the lack of sleep I'd gotten last night, worried about today.

It was gonna be my first practice as an official member of Drive Like I Do, and it was at Matty's house, which worried me because I knew Kane didn't want me going over there.

I still wasn't sure how I was gonna tell him I was in a band with four guys. I don't think he'd care if me and George became, like, a duo or something, but he'd made it clear he didn't want me to be around Adam, Ross or Matty too much. I didn't care, though, they were my friends, and being in a band seemed cool. Plus, I'd been able to hide that I was friends with the three for months now, I doubted it'd change.

I brushed my hair and tied it up into a ponytail, lined my waterline with black eyeliner, put on my shitty, five pound mascara and slightly tinted lip gloss. Work makeup was just as boring as work clothes. I hated having my hair in a ponytail.

My walk to work was slow. Waking up five minutes early actually meant I got fifteen minutes extra to get ready, since I usually spent the first ten minutes after my alarm lying in bed and begging God to light the cafe on fire. Anyway, it meant I was in no rush to get there, so I actually enjoyed my walk, bopping my head as I listened to Blur through my headphones. Jacob always got on my case for listening to them.

"Oasis is well better. Blur's just a bunch of posh boys trying their best to seem as English as possible. I've met fucking Americans who are more British than them."

I always thought that was a weird thing to say, since Jacob had never met an American person. I gave him the same response every time.

"You're just bitter because you're a bricklayer and they've made a name for themselves, not living in their mum and dad's house at the big old age of twenty-three."

I walked into work, heading to the back to put my apron on and coming out to the till right as my shift began. "You're very punctual today," my boss, Julie, said.

"Was rudely awoken five minutes before I should've been," I said.

"Well maybe you ought to be getting up five minutes early every morning."

"No chance."

I turned around to begin serving customers. There were only two right now. An older man and a thirty-something looking woman. I was lucky they both just wanted normal coffees, an easy start to my morning, probably because it was a Saturday. It was usually packed on weekdays, before everyone was due to go to work.

When I go to the break room, that's when I got in my feelings. Kane and I had been really bad since we got back together. We argued almost every day, then, when we'd make up, he'd take out make out sessions too far, almost always trying to get me to fuck him. I didn't.

I wondered why he couldn't respect my boundaries. I told him that I'd let him know when I was ready, and he said he understood every time, but always proved himself wrong.

I don't know why we always argued. It was always about stupid stuff. He'd actually hit me the other day, right in the face. I was still having to cover up the bruise on my cheekbone with concealer.

Everyday I'd walk into the break room, sitting in there alone and starting into the big mirror in front of me, convincing myself that the bruise was showing. It wasn't, but I always had that fear. Kane always made me question myself.

Why was I doing this?

Why was I alive?

My break finished and I went back to work for another few hours. Fuck this job.

After work, I walked straight to Matty's, spraying my body spray that I'd brought in my bag and hoping I didn't still smell of coffee

After work, I walked straight to Matty's, spraying my body spray that I'd brought in my bag and hoping I didn't still smell of coffee. It was just past half two when I got there and knocked on his door. He answered, confused.

"What you doing here?" He asked. I frowned. "Not that I'm complaining or anything! Just- You didn't call or anything."

"Band practice?" I said.

He looked down at his watch. "It's half two, mate."

"Yeah, I know."

"We don't start until four today."

Now I felt stupid. "Oh, shit. I'll go home then. See you-"

"No point, you're a twenty minute walk away, by the time you get home you'll barely have any time before you have to leave again. Just come in."

"You sure?" I asked. I knew he was sure, he didn't mind being alone with me, but Kane would mind, I knew he probably wouldn't find out, but I was still worried.

"I'm sure."