- 003

DYLAN'S OUTFIT

DYLAN'S POV19th October, 2009

DYLAN'S POV
19th October, 2009

My brother, Jacob, was five years older than me. He still lived with our parents. He was a bricklayer. He made enough money to move out a long time ago, but I think he liked how my parents handed everything to him.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely loved my parents. They gave me the world and supported me through everything, even when I made stupid, disappointing mistakes. But they were pushovers when it came to Jacob.

They'd give him everything, not that we could afford everything. We were just about making enough money to not end up living on a council estate or in a homeless shelter, but they still somehow scraped enough together to buy my grown man of a brother, who only payed about 20% of the bills, anything he asked for.

Out for a drink? Here's £50.

Need a new coat? Take £100 out of my purse.

Short on rent? That's fine, we'll cover you this month.

I found it just a little bit pathetic. But I couldn't blame them, either. He was persuasive, almost manipulative, and I really don't know where he got it from considering my parents were like angels.

It was my eighteenth birthday. I stood in his girlfriend's house, which was straight across from ours. I don't know why he didn't just move in with her at this point, they'd been together three years.

"Right, Dyl, have as much fun as you want, you're eighteen now, but remember I'm just across the road, yeah? Don't be taking the piss."

"Oh, get off her back, J, let her have fun!"

I liked his girlfriend. Her name was Jen, or Jenny, or Jennifer. She was way too nice and way too pretty for him.

"I am, just don't want her getting me in trouble with mum and dad."

Mum and dad were away on a small, weekend holiday in Ireland, probably one of the only holidays they'd be able to afford.

"I'm fine, Jacob, promise. Plus, George is gonna be there, anyway, doubt he'd let me get too hammered. I'll see you later."

I walked back over to my house, which already had half my party's guests in it. No sign of George yet, as expected, he wasn't really one to be early to these types of things.

Eva and Ella were sat on my couch and I walked over to them.

"Alright, sexy?" Ella said, "Love the skirt."

"Trying to impress someone?" Eva asked.

"Yeah, her boyfriend," Ella deadpanned and I laughed.