Chapter Eighteen

I already felt my powers buzz beneath my skin. I felt like I hadn't in a long time. Strong and powerful. When the first rabid had almost reached me, I let a rush of blue fire shoot out of my hands. Before I could be surprised at the sudden potency of my powers the next rabid tried to attack me. I didn't even raise my hands but let the force pulse from my core. It made the rabids topple over, but they were still alive. I slowly circled them as they were trying to get up, keeping my eyes on them and my surroundings. The last thing I needed now was an attack from behind. Apparently, my power had done more than to simply knock them over. It almost seemed like they couldn't get back on their feet. Every time they tried; they would fall over again. As I looked more closely at them, I could see black liquid spilling from their mouths and ears. What used to be their blood came pouring out of them.

I decided that they were no longer a threat. My gaze wandered over the remaining planes, that I had yet to check. There were many, at least 20 that I could see. As I was walking towards the next one, I was half expecting the pain, that had followed me using my powers the last few months. But I couldn't feel it. On the contrary. My senses felt sharper, I felt strong and almost bursting from the pent-up force inside of me. An idea crossed my mind. It was more like a crazy thought, but I shrugged my shoulders an decided to just go along with it. Raising both hands I carefully aimed at the nearest plane. The blue fire ripped out of my caried by the blast of pressure from my core.

Luckily, I was still far away. The explosion was much bigger than I had anticipated. Anyone who might have been hiding inside would be incinerated. But now that the plane was burning brightly the cover was blown. Whether still in the airport or in the other planes, no one present could overlook this. I turned towards the building. Dean would probably arrive here soon, to see what had happened. My concentration was so fixed on the it, that I almost missed the slight change in the air. But spending three months with vampires had sharpened my senses. I spun around.

The long black figure was looming against the bright background of the fire. He froze as we made eye contact. My heart was pounding. Where was Dean when you actually needed him?

"So we meet again. Or is that too cliché to say?" Caines voice was coarse, but He sounded amused. "I remember the last time you were almost a bother. But all in all, not really a threat. Looks like you learned." He turned towards the burning plane before he continued: "What I'm wondering now is, how you knew we were waiting inside." It was barely noticeable but underneath the casually amused tone was anger.

I had to buy time. Letting him know, that I had had no clue anyone was inside that plane, let alone him, seemed like a bad idea. Apparently, he could survive being set on fire! I needed Deans help.

"Well, you said it yourself, I learned. Where did you leave the rest of your posse? Are they not feeling well?" I hoped he wouldn't notice my lame attempt at finding out how many others were still alive. He didn't fall for it but instead chuckled to himself.

"You know what I like about you witches? You're not as fragile as humans but not as strong as vampires. That makes it so much fun to play with you. I'm sure you've noticed that Dean shares my opinion. He's going to keep you around and on the edge of death until he is bored of you. He'll probably kill you in the end, trying to find out how much you can take." He had started moving towards the airport, keeping his eyes on me.

"What are you saying? That I shouldn't help him? That I should just give up now and let you kill me?" Part of me was shaking at his last words and surely, he knew that. He could hear the pounding of my heart and, if he got any closer, the rushing of my blood. But there was another part in me. The part that was angry and frustrated. That had had enough of smug vampires, speaking in riddles and thinking too highly of themselves.