Chapter Twelve

The car ride was once again quiet. James was starring at the road and Dean seemed to be lost in thought and for once did not decide to share his every emotion. I was eating the canned cherries Dean had found. When licking the juice off my fingers, I noticed, that they both shot me looks. Dean accompanied his with a wink and James clenched his jar even tighter.

I was very annoyed with both of them. If it was so hard for James to control himself he should just let me go and whatever was going on with Dean was not my problem. They both acted like teenage boys who saw breasts for the first time. I could do nothing without them sexualizing it.

The more I thought about it, the angrier I got. I was on the verge of a rant, when the car slowed down and came to a stop. Both vampires had feral expressions on their faces and I followed their gaze.

There it stood. The white, battered van He had escaped in. James looked at Dean and then at me. We both nodded and got out of the vehicle. Knowing Him, he would probably await us, have a cunning plan. But this time I was full and rested. Last night might have been an ordeal but it did not take away from my strength.

We slowly and quietly moved through the black night. Everything was quiet. Always a bad sign. Dean and James rounded the van and came to an abrupt halt. When I followed them, I realized what made them stop. Four people lay on the ground. Blood was everywhere and the smell of death hit me in the face. Before I could turn away the bright red letters on the van caught my eye.

"Apologies for not leaving any leftovers, see you soon," Dean read out loud. "Caine is such a fucking drama queen. Of course he can't just change cars, he has to make a spectacle of it."

I nervously looked around. At the moment my powers were still weak, if they were somewhere waiting...

Dean had notice my alarmed glances aorund. When he caught my eye he grinned and was suddenly right in front of me.

"Don't worry Princess, they aren't here anymore. And even if they were, do you think I would let harm come to my new favourite toy?" Before I could even think of an answer, both vampires had suddenly turned around and starred in the same direction, fangs bared. There was movement in the bushes next to the road. My senses started tingeling and I knew what was in the bushes. A vampire.

"Come out now and we might not kill you immedeatly." I looked with surprise at James. The words he had spoken sounded more like something Dean would say. In the blink of an eye a beautiful women appeared. Long, brown hair war flowing over her shoulders. She looked athletic and more importantly, not the least scared.

"Relax," she said in an almost bored voice, "I'm here looking for Caine, just like you."

A quick exchange of looks followed from Dean to James. They seemed aggitated. But enough time for the woman to notice me. Our eyes met and I saw a small flicker in them. She had noticed that I was no vampire but not a normal human either. James voice broke the silence.

"Why are you looking for him?" While he spoke, Dean had moved a lot closer to me. Almost hiding me behind his body.

"He killed my partner. We had been togehter for almost a hundred years and he killed her two months ago. I've been looking for him ever since. It's almost comical how many people I've met on my search who want to kill him too." She chuckled but there was no real humor behind it.

"How old are you?" Dean suddenly asked. She only hesitated a moment before answering.

"Almost 150 years. Why are you asking?"

Dean did not answer her. Instead he turned to James and said:

"150 years, thats not bad. She might already be a decent fighter. We could use her against Caine. After all, it seems like we all have the same goal." When James did not answer immedeatly he turned to the woman again.

"Would you be interested? Joining forces to get all this done a little faster. I have a lot more interesting things I want to do, then chase this lunatic for another few years."

Was I hurt by the fact, that he not only recognized her power but thought them useful when he had never aknowledged mine? Yes and I did not understand why his approval should mean anything to me. He did not give her the leering looks he had given me when we first met. He talked to her withouth belitteling or insulting her. Was it all just because she is a vampire?

"Whats your name?" My voice sounded calm and collected while my head was being overrun by these tumultous thoughts. I had stepped out of Deans shadow and managed a smile. She smiled back, revealing her elongated canines but it did not seem like a threat.

"I was wondering when someone would ask me. My name is Mya and who are you?"

Before I could answer Dean cut me off.

"She is none of your concern," he answered for me. "If you decide to join us, you should know that this," he motioned in my direction, "is off limits. Understood?"

Her eyes darted from him to me and back. She slowly nodded and replied.

"Alright, I'll join you, if he agrees to it too." With that she turned to James and looked at him expectantly. Only now did I realize, that James' focus was once again on me. But his eyes were not red, they merely looked tired. Without looking at her, he nodded.

"Sure, whatever. I don't really care as long as we get back on the road. We already lost more time with this than necessary. That is exactly what he wants. Did you see them, or the direction they went in?"

"Yes," Mya answered, "they seem to be heading towards Old Vegas in a silver SUV." Without saying another word, he headed towards the car and after a moments hesitation we followed him. Dean, once again, opened the car door for me but the look he gave me, when our eyes met was less than friendly.