Chapter 21

The snake slithered around me. I crouched next to Raz, trying to see if he was okay. I could feel a pulse, and I sighed in relief. "He won't last much longer. Once I defeat you. he will fall to my poisonous bite," the snake hissed with glee. I didn't care much for myself, but I wasn't about to let Raz suffer because of me. Somehow, I angered this vile, undead reptile, and he wanted to punish me and kill Raz, that angered me to no end. "I don't know what I did to anger you. I won't stand for you threatening him," I replied curtly. "You have a crush on him?" The snake hissed mockingly. "Foolish, you can flee now and save yourself. Or you can choose to die with him," the snake commented.

"I won't leave," I said, trying to sound brave, and confident. The snake laughed, rattling and hissing, sounding like sandpaper, quickly rubbing together. I shook Raz's arm. "Hey, come on. I need you to get up," I pleaded with him. He didn't move. He was out cold. "Raz!" I shouted loudly. He turned over but didn't respond. "He's not going to react for a couple hours. You're on your own. Now, choose. Flee or die," he said again, giving me the choice. I couldn't walk away. I stood defiantly, waiting my death. Trust in yourself. Dwell within your soul and unleash your power! A powerful feminine voice echoed in my mind.

The speaker wasn't controlling or commanding. But, guiding. I didn't know how to do what she was telling me. How do I access these powers that she's suggesting? I thought back to the moment during the school trial. When fighting against the necromancer. I didn't even know how I managed to conjure the sword and fight against Yamaka. I don't know how I was to call these so-called powers. I doubt I even had them to begin with. The snake circled around me, moving closer to me. I tried to concentrate and call upon the sword from before, but nothing happened. The snake closed in on me, tightening around me.

"I'm going to squeeze the life out of you," the giant snake promised. The rancid breath knocked the wind out of me and caused me to choke and gasp. "Why are you doing this?" I gasped, screaming. "You may not remember me from the past. From a different timeline. I know you. You Zeke, son of the gods, and that cursed arachnid, defeated me and sent me back to Apep a failure. He cursed me to become a shadow walker under Nyx's realm. He now has given me the opportunity to correct my failure. So, here I am. Seeking your death. I promise to make yours quick, but I can't promise the same for him, the snake replied. "Who the fuck are you?" I snapped.

"Najash, I was once the guardian to Apep's realm. Now, fallen. I'm seeking retribution. I'm going to appease him and make amends. Now, die!" he hissed. He began squeezing tightly. At first, there was just discomfort, but soon it became unbearable. I could feel my ribs straining, my breathing became labored. The nasty rotting breath made me choke and threatened to overwhelm me. "You are going to die," Najash promised. I believed him. Fight back! You have the strength to call forth a powerful warrior. A personal guardian. One that volunteered and one I have chosen! The children can only do so much! Summon Mikai!

The voice returned to my mind, telling me what I needed to do. How!? I screamed out. Call his name. Focus on the bloodline within you. Focus on yourself! You have immortal blood within you. You just need to tap into it. One rib cracked then. I closed my eyes, steeled my lungs and focused on the name the woman told me. 'Mikai, come forth. Please help me! I beseech thee. I need thy help in this fight!' Another rib cracked. I opened my eyes, tears falling fiercely. I didn't think I would last much longer. I tightened my eyes and called Mikai again. 'Please!' I screamed out with my mind. Another rib, and I felt myself losing consciousness. Then a flash of silver appeared off to the side of Najash. The knight from before stepped forward. "I have answered the call. Release him!" The night demanded. Najash snarled and hissed violently.

"Who are you to interfere with the will of the gods?" the snake demanded. "A warrior of a god stronger than yours. One who does not tolerate this blasphemy. This slight against them," the knight replied. From his back, he conjured two giant swords that had to be seven-feet tall each and heavy. He held them with ease. I would not want to get into a fight with this warrior. You wouldn't have to. He's honor bound to you and can't harm you. under no circumstances. I blinked through the tears, as Najash released me and slithered towards Mikai. "You will pay for this interruption!" the snake promised. "I doubt that. Nyx grants me her ultimate blessing," Mikai charged, both swords held high.