Chapter 10

I looked around my empty room and soon remembered that no matter how vivid that dream was. It was just a dream and not real. Part of me secretly hoped that the possibility could be something that could happen and another part of me didn't want anything like that to happen. Not that my life was any better. I looked at the clock on the nightstand and saw that it was only ten to five in the morning. I softly groaned and got up. I grabbed a change of clothes and headed to the bathroom. I needed to take a quick shower and get ready for breakfast.

I knew that if I didn't hurry up, I wouldn't get any. The headmistress of the orphanage always favored the other children. I don't know what I did to enrage her, but she didn't like me. Probably because I was the third oldest, but even the others she didn't hate on. I showered quickly and combed out my hair with the broken brush. I hoped that I could get a job at the local store soon enough to be able to buy some new clothes and essentials. These wouldn't last much longer. As it was, I'm surprised that my jeans and shirts haven't unraveled completely at this point.

I entered the kitchen at a quarter past five and the staff was already rolling and kneading the bread. "Ah, you're early," the head cook replied. She was a petite woman, elder and with a stern face. She never treated me unfairly, however. She remained neutral and strict with everyone. She did get up a little earlier than the others and prepare something for me to eat before the others got up. Gertrude was not liked by most of the others and the staff, but I never had any issues with her. I didn't back talk her, and I always did what she asked.

The headmistress always wanted to find something to punish me or make me out as an example to the others, yet she couldn't get anything on me. The staff never said anything against me, and she always stood up for me when it came to justice. It's not that she took pity on me or anything. She would do the same for anyone. It just happened to me a lot. "Here," Gertrude said, handing me a bowl of oats, with garlic toast, bacon and a large hickory ham omelet. "This looks amazing, thank you very much," I said to her as I took the bowl and a fork and knife.

She grunted in response. She never really showed much emotion towards compliments or niceties. Just don't disrespect her or others in front of her. I was under the impression that being kind was just something you should be without expecting others to reward you. We all should just be nice people. Being stern and about the rules is one thing. Abusing power and being cruel and vile isn't something that we should be. I ate as quick as I dared, before getting up to wash the dishes and then I quickly donned an apron, gloves and a hairnet and joined the others in the kitchen to prepare for the others.

The staff was the first one to enter the cafeteria. The headmistress first, followed by the head of the disciplinary. They were joined by the staff that specialized in the subjects we learned from school. Each one was there to give us some extra assistance with homework or lessons we may need. The school system wasn't 'willing' to help us succeed. They saw orphans as servants to the kingdom. We are the 'Orkta', lesser than the lowliest citizen and a waste of resources. I had to make sure my necklace was visible at all times, as we all did.

The kitchen staff said nothing as the staff entered and grabbed a tray with their food on it. The last group was the orderly and they were there to help the staff as needed with over a hundred kids inside the building, the staff couldn't see us all. The orderly I was to report to is a middle-aged man named Tyle, with dark skin, short black hair and cold beetle black eyes. He doesn't care for us much. I try to not bother him as much as possible. He approached me in line and sneered at me. "Hope you're not up to anything," he said in a raspy drawl.

"No, sir. Is there anything else I can get you?" I asked. I heard Gertrude cough next to me and I glanced over as she rolled her eyes. I kept a blank expression as I looked back at Tyle, and he gave the look of death before continuing on. After everyone was seated, we had ten minutes before the other kids came in for their breakfast. "What's the matter?" I whispered. "You really need to find a different orderly. He's a damn asshole," she snapped, glaring at the staff table. I sighed. "You know what happened the last time I asked about that," I said in shame.