Chapter 20

I couldn't understand where the security came from. No one was around, so it made me wonder if maybe they were aware ahead of time that something may happen. Or was it possibly foreseen? If so, by who? Apollo was typically the god of prophecy, but it was clear that his people didn't put much stock in orkta. They didn't care about us at all, and we were fodder and lowlifes that wouldn't amount to anything. I couldn't see Apollo doing anything to assist us. "Going somewhere?" A female guard asked Jackson. "We wanted to talk to them," he replied weakly.

"Yeah, you're going to have to try harder to lie than that," the guard said. A man next to her snickered. "Jill and Ben," a girl with long platinum blond hair whispered. "Your guards?" I asked. She nodded. "Aren't we allowed to talk to our classmates?" He tried again. Ben chimed in this time. "Yes, of course. From all reports though. You just want to bully, harass and attack. So, why don't we play this game. Whatever you do to one of them, we do to you. Sound fair?" I could peak around the security guards, and I saw Jackson seething, but doing his best to keep it controlled. "You can't touch me," he replied with forced control.

"Would you like to test that theory?" Ben countered. Then Jackson caught my eye, and the look shot daggers at me. I didn't think I would avoid him forever. I quickly turned around. "Well, can't say they aren't efficient," Carlos complimented them. I tuned out the words being said around me. I heard the guards saying something to someone, and then they let someone through. At first, I thought that they were going to let Jackson try something. When I glanced over at the person who sat down, my heart skipped in my chest.

"Hey, Raz," I squeaked out. He grinned. "You think I left?" He asked. "I didn't know if you got busy or had to take care of something. I don't expect you to stick around all the time," I replied. "Your good company to be around," he said softly, and I felt my face heat up. Why? I wondered. Why would he bring out a reaction like this? "So, I know you have gym next period. I know this brings you full circle to where everything changed. Are you okay?" he asked. I nodded. "Yeah. A lot has definitely happened. Too much in some cases. I am grateful that you're all here. That you're here," I whispered. He smiled. "Well, I'm glad that you're happy," he stated.

A couple of the others eyed me curiously. They heard what I said, and they read what I meant, even if I was a bit confused about it myself. Carlos nudged me gently. "Do you like him?" he whispered in my ear. My face flushed deeply, and I shrugged. "I honestly don't know," I admitted. "Hey, no worries. That's okay," he said casually. "Yeah, you don't have to worry Zeke, there's nothing wrong with being confused," a boy said and a girl down the table groaned. "Oh, my gods. Why are you talking about something so disgusting?!" she snapped.

I felt Raz looking at me curiously. Carlos got rude with the girl. "Shante, why are you being mean? There's nothing wrong with what we are discussing." She scoffed in response. "Two men or females being intimate is gross. If he's saying he likes a guy, especially one of higher status than him, then that's a crime. Besides, why would Raz want to be with someone like Zeke?" she asked, glancing at me in disgust. My heart pounded in my chest, my skin burned, blood felt like it began to boil. "I don't know if I like someone or not. I don't know what I'm feeling," I croaked out and got up without eating.

I couldn't sit there anymore. I couldn't deal with that conversation. I had to get away, but I knew that the lunch hour wasn't done yet. "Zeke!" Someone shouted at me. I barely heard my name being called. The only thing I heard was, "That was incredibly bitchy and uncalled for! Tears threatened to consume me. I stumbled towards the locker room. Someone grabbed me and pushed me against the wall, and I didn't even care that I faced Jackson and three of his friends. I honestly felt like death would be a good outcome right now. "So, you finally decided to leave your guards behind. I always knew you were a freak. But I didn't know you were a disgusting one," Jackson laughed.