Chapter 13

The headmistress entered, followed by the staff and the orderlies. When she got up to the counter, the look she gave me was controlled rage and surprise. Clearly, she thought I would try to get out of the duties assigned to me as well and she became angry when I didn't. She wanted to have a reason to hurt me and now she would have to get creative. Of course, the more Jyn, Inos, and Jesi interfered with the consequences of my existence and status, the more it would become hard to survive in the end. All the pauses of abuse would build up against me. Most of the orkta wouldn't be getting out of the life unscathed.

We all knew it. We all expected it. I know these people meant well, but it wouldn't help us much in the end. We finished serving the orphanage two hours later and Gertrude took me back to a small office with a folding table and a rickety chair. "It's the best I could do," she said apologetically. I smiled. "I appreciate this," I told her. "What's the occasion?" I asked as she grabbed a dark silver tray from the corner. "Well, I sort of took in Xavier in after a time. I haven't officially claimed him as my own. He may as well be at this point. You and him honestly. I know you helped him at school when he was about to be punished," she explained.

"Yes, well that was uncalled for anyways. They had word and still tried to get us for lying," I said remembering back to that day. I didn't realize how infuriating it was. "Of course, but you still stepped in and said something. You knew you could have been punished alongside him or for him. Yet, you still spoke up. I appreciate that. I don't want either of you to be harmed for something that you can't control," she told me. I smiled. "Of course," I said with a smile. "So, I prepared a special breakfast for you," she told me as she removed the lid of the tray.

I gasped. This looks like a meal for the staff," I choked out. "Yes, well, the headmistress won't be getting her third breakfast tomorrow," Gertrude said with a wink. I froze. "No, I can't accept this," I replied in fear. She scowled. "Whether you eat it or not. The results are the same. She won't be getting a third, because I won't be able to save it that long. You may as well eat it and not say anything. We would all be punished. Besides, is it worth it? Watching her scarf her face, while so many starve?" Getrude demanded. "I guess not," I mumbled. "Good, now enjoy. We have been having supply issues, so if we have to cut back, so be it," she stated flatly.

I nodded in defeat. I couldn't help but ignore the guilt as I ate the pancakes, sausages, scrambled eggs, chocolate chips melted on top with bananas, and strawberries. The apple hickory bacon tasted delicious. I finished eating in record time. "Did you even taste it?" Gertrude asked perplexed. I laughed heartily. "Yes, but I didn't want to be late for school," I reminded her. She gently slapped her forehead with the palm of her hand. "I totally forgot. How could I be so dense?" She then opened the door and Xavier stood outside waiting for me with all the school project and our bags.

"I took the liberty of gathering your stuff for you. I figured you would be busy this morning," he responded with a wink. He had his red hair slinked back. "Do you think this is going to be an eventful day?" He asked as we left the small office and headed down the hall to the main gate. "I don't know. I think this will be a different kind of day. I don't know about eventful," I replied. He conceded the point. There wasn't any way to know for sure. Well, some may be able to find out. I wasn't very good at guessing. We headed down the hall into the main entryway.

The headmistress waited for us all to gather. "I have an unexpected announcement to make. The bureaucrats of our nation have been scouting for those about to graduate who have high marks. They are looking for young men and woman to accompany them and learn from them. I'm not sure about their goals, but they seem to want the best out of you. Now, I have no idea what they are scouting for. My guess would be it has something to do with the benefit of the nation and our world and I know you all want to become important members of society. So, I implore you all to make the best of the next two weeks and do everything you can to be more involved in class. Get your work done on time and study hard. Prove to them and to yourselves that you are worthy of being chosen," she finishes.