CHAPTER 14: Neroliner pt.2

Maria grabbed the hem of her mother's dress as they both made their way up the steps and into the palace. Once inside, they made their way up to the main hall, which was filled with white-collar workers. There was a sense of grandeur in every piece of furniture, every window, and every person walking about in the room. It was an intimidating place, and Maria felt anxious. She could sense her mother’s uneasiness as she shipped her eyes across the room as if searching for something.

Maria glanced around the room, taking in its beauty. The high ceilings and ornate walls were a feast for the eyes. Each step she took echoed against the shiny marble floor, and the light filtering in through the large skylights above lit up the room in a heavenly glow. The busy atmosphere was a bit intimidating, though. There were so many people going about their work in efficient silence.

She spotted one man with greying hair and a thin frame carrying a stack of scrolls in one hand. He was looking at her strangely, and she quickly looked away. She had never seen him before, and the way he looked at her was unsettling. Maria followed her mother with her eyes as the latter made his way to the high-standing man in royal attire.

"Here are the scrolls you've asked for, your Majesty."
Calder signalled for Eyin to take the scrolls from the man.
"Thank you." Eyin nodded at the man as he got handed the old scrolls of papers. The man walked away, leaving to continue whatever else he was ordered to.

"You already sent word to get them, Calder?" Yvanna spoke up, inspecting the scrolls.

"It took two days of travel for my men to get them."

"What are they stating?"

"It's whatever is left of the Sirius Bloodline's history from 300 hundred years ago," Calder explained taking the scrolls into his own hands.

"Now, let's do some reading."

"Eyin, can you please make sure the library is empty? I don't need any distractions."

"Sure thing, your Majesty."

as Eyin left the royals alone, Yvanna's eyes fell on the two girls who stood apart from each other. Calder already knew they didn't click in right away.
It would have been good for his daughter to befriend her cousin, she'd been feeling too lonely, that much he knew, since he unknowingly and mistakenly neglected her doing his king duties.

"Colderia." The young girl’s eyes met her father's for a brief second before she let them fall into the marble floors.

"Me and your aunt need to do something, would you take Maria with you for a tour, please?" Calder spoke softly, crouching down slightly as  Colderia met the ocean-colored eyes of her father once more.

"Mhm." She mumbled before turning away and taking leave.

"Go with her, Maria." Maria met her mother's eyes, and she reluctantly looked at the direction the girl went and at her mother's face.

"She's a good girl, Maria. " Calder stated. "Just a bit bitter sometimes, and I don't blame her for that." He added.

"Hope we don't get into a fight," Maria replied in a joking manner, before running after the almost-disappeared girl.

Maria finally caught up to the slightly older girl, as they both their way across the palace, not knowing where to go or start this tour.
The latter's words rang through Maria's ears, and she found herself stealing a glance at the older girl from time to time.

"What?"

"What what?"

"Why do you keep looking at me?"