Chapter 22: A Lover's Comfort

[Y/n's PoV]

As we reached where the Stellaron Hunters resides, I could not help but smile slightly as Elio met me with a warm welcome upon hearing the news that I have been brought back safely.

I was glad to see him again, especially after the long period of time where I had not been able to meet with each other. Kafka also stood by my side, her playful smile not leaving her face at all as she stared straight at Elio with an amused glimmer in her eyes.

As Kafka explained what happened earlier to Elio, my thoughts quickly shifted as the reality of the current situation set in.

I had just been pulled away from the IPC and now I am back being a Stellaron Hunter once more. It seemed like a dream.

Don't get me wrong, I felt relived and happy that I could finally return back here, but there were so many things running through my head right now.

"Y/n."

Kafka's voice was a bit more calmly and soft as she tried to gently pull me away from my thoughts.

"...Yes?"

"Are you feeling alright? You seem a bit... distant right now." Kafka asked me.

I knew that she was clearly aware of this and she could tell how much of this was overwhelming me, but just I nodded my head slowly.

"...I'm... fine..."

"Really now, you sure about that?" Kafka's tone seemed to sense my hesitation and I'm sure that she was not convinced by my words at all.

"Because you're not looking fine. Your eyes are so far away, and you just seem... distracted by something." She added.

"...With all the things that's been currently happening? I don't see why not." I responded, then realizing that the other members including Elio is still there so I quickly avoided her gaze once more.

"Kafka, can we talk to somewhere more private?"

I could sense her eyes moved to look at me as I have suddenly asked if the two of us could talk alone. She could tell by my tone and appearance that there was something that I wanted to talk about. She thought for a moment, and then replied to me in a whisper.

"Sure. We could go and talk in my room if you like."

I only hummed quietly before following her to her chamber.

_____

I followed Kafka to her room, but I kept quiet as I let her lead the way. It felt very different from last time when I had visited her room under much more tense circumstances.

Once inside her room, Kafka sat down on her bed and patted the space next to her for me to sit. She then looked up at me, still maintaining a serious expression on her face.

I only obeyed and sat next to her while lowering my head but Kafka gently lifted my chin, wanting to maintain eye contact with me. She noticed how I was keeping my head lowered, as if I wanted to avoid her gaze, but she did not comment on it.

"So, do you want to tell me what's been on your mind?" She asked, trying to make her voice a bit comforting as possible.

I just sighed deeply, "...I don't really know. Everything in my mind right now is so messed up, and I can't seem to process my thoughts clearly as of late."

Kafka nodded her head slowly in response, understanding the struggle I was going through. She reached out and gently held my hands as she spoke with a gentle tone.

"That's understandable. You've been through a lot in the past few days, so it's normal for you to feel that way. Don't push yourself too hard to make sense of it all right now."

"...."

I only stayed silent before she slowly leaned in to kiss me. Kafka's kiss felt comforting as it washed away the stress and uncertainty. Even though there was still so much that I did not know yet, that one act of affection was enough to give me some semblance of peace.

She pulled away after the kiss, but remained close enough so that I could feel her warmth as the two of us stayed in silence for a while before Kafka spoke again.

"The uncertainty of everything, it's making you feel lost, right? Perhaps what I did back then took a slight change in your personality and the situation you are in right now, but–"

"I know..." I interrupted her. "You did all of that to save me. If you agreed to my bidding back then, perhaps I won't be here, talking to you."

Kafka nods, taking every word I said before caressing my cheek.

"Y/n, I don't want to regret what I decided to do for you. I can't regret all the great things that the two of us are now experiencing together."

Kafka took a deep breath as she brushed my hair away from my face, trying to keep her smile from fading as she continued speaking.

"I don't care how many times you may get upset with me, or think that I'm being dishonest with you, or even hate me. That's all worth it as long as I could be right by your side."

I just smiled faintly before grabbing her hands away from my face.

"I know that you meant well, but I just wish I realized it sooner."

Kafka's eyes were glued to mine as a smile slowly appeared on her face. She was glad that I had realized now that everything which had happened was for what is best in the end.

"It's okay, you don't need to be blaming yourself for it. Sometimes it just takes a little longer for us to get the full picture. But now, I'm glad that I can be with you again and that we can start a new path together from now on."

I nodded slightly before she stood up and reached out her hands to me.

"Now why don't we take a shower and let me help you wash your troubles away?"

"A shower..?"

This made me chuckle softly for a moment as soon as she made the suggestion, and then I realized just how much sense it would make right now.

She was right— a shower would definitely be able to wash away the troubles that have been pilling up inside of me recently, but...

"Are you sure you have no hidden agendas while we're at it?" I asked her, cocking a brow.

Kafka just smirked as a response. She then let out a soft laugh as she replied with an innocent tone in her voice.

"Oh no, nothing at all. Just a nice, refreshing shower after which we can cuddle under warm sheets. No hidden agendas here, promise."

I only rolled my eyes playfully before taking her hand to help myself stood up as I kiss her lips for a brief moment.

"You should hide your smirk the next time you're planning to invite me, alright?"

Kafka's smirk quickly faded away as she looked at me, realizing I have seen right through her 'innocent' attitude.

Perhaps she had thought that she was playing her cards well, but clearly I had seen right through her. Even still, she couldn't resist letting out a small giggle at my reply.

"Oh, and why is that, my dear? Does my innocent smile seem... enticing to you?~"

"...Yes, for only a few can see it." I replied.

"Oh? I didn't know you're such a charmer. That subtle flirting makes me quite speechless."

Kafka let out another slight chuckle before intertwining our hands, still maintaining her teasing attitude.

"Well then, shall we? No more chit chat, we've got some shower time to make use of."

Kafka's grip on my hand was soft and gentle. She did not pull me along with her; instead, she kept her pace at a slow, steady rhythm as she led me towards the shower area.