Chapter 20: Poison

[Y/n's PoV]

Kafka was there, staying silent as she watches my reaction. I was about to say something to her but the sound of sirens came up, as the place was quickly surrounded by the IPC and immediately aimed their gun at Kafka.

Kafka only looks at me with a small smirk before dropping her sword to the ground as a sign of surrender, indicating that she kept her deal that she will surrender if I recall my memories with her.

"...."

The members of the IPC quickly ran towards her to put the handcuffs to her wrist and take her away. I could only stay silent from the whole situation before taking off my mask, and when she looks at me, I just avoided her gaze.

I don't know why, but a sense of despair and regret overwhelms me as I watched the IPC take Kafka away from me. I wanted to say something, to call out to her and try to stop them from transporting her, but the words wouldn't come out.

All I could do now was watch as she became more and more distant from me, not being able to do a single thing about it.

One of the members of the IPC then walk towards me and showed me a hologram of the Heads.

"Well done, Y/n. We'll quickly arranged your promotion once you return."

"...."

I barely acknowledge the IPC's words as I watched the hologram, not even looking at their faces. I realized that my mission had been a success and received a promotion as a result, but none of that mattered to me anymore as I regained all my memories and that Kafka was taken away.

_____

Later...

As I arrived at the IPC's base, I was welcomed by the Heads and other IPC colleagues who all congratulated and praised me for my successful mission.

I still did not show any reaction as they congratulated me and was just silently listening to their words without any comment or emotion in my voice.

I knew that I had just achieved great results, but right now, it felt like nothing could fill my heart except for Kafka's presence.

"Y/n, congratulations! I knew we could count on you. Now, let me declare to you that you are now officially promoted to P48! That's two rank of promotion from your current rank and you will be directly assigned as a Head of a different department. Keep it up."

...P48? I thought they would only promote me to P47... I guess capturing one of the Stellaron Hunters have a major impact in the corporation...

However, the news of my promotion only made me feel even worse as the IPC officials celebrated my achievement. I just stood there and nodded without any words or reaction. I felt like a part of me had just died.

"Kaf— the Stellaron Hunter. She'll be facing a trial, yes?" I questioned the other Heads.

"That is correct." They answered.

"She will be facing trial for her actions as a criminal wanted by the corporation, and we will determine whether or not she will serve time in prison or be put to a more severe punishment."

"Oh, and we forgot to mentioned that her bounty reward had already been transferred to your account. You could check your data bank for your own confirmation."