[26] Before Becoming a King, Become a Human

Is the purpose of human existence... peace of mind?

The young girl silently digested the logic behind these words while leisurely half-lying on the green and vibrant wheat field of this spring day.

Alvin, with a mouthful of ancient camphor leaves he casually picked from the forest, chewed slowly, savoring the bitter taste.

"Have you heard it too... Ever since I haven't shown up in the town lately, the complaints from the people about Silver Star Guiding the Way..."

Broaching such a disheartening topic, the girl's expression couldn't help but darken.

Alvin's collection of crop seeds had already reached completion, and so, Silver Star Guiding the Way disappeared from the people's view.

After a brief lull, mountain bandits, like locusts, began to roam freely once they realized the silver-haired deathly youth seemed to have truly departed.

Thieves couldn't be completely eradicated, and in times of turmoil, the line between refugees and bandits was often thin.

Unable to receive Alvin's almost selfless help anymore, the murmurs of discontent among the people spread far and wide.

They didn't dare to curse the lord's private soldiers who neglected their duties because they would indeed retaliate.

For good people, however, accusations could be freely made without fearing consequences.

Even though Alvin had never made any promises and emphasized multiple times that he was not a knight.

Nevertheless, accusations like:

"Silver Star Guiding the Way is a fraud, it's actually in cahoots with the bandits!"

"Ignoring evil without fulfilling duties, no knightly spirit at all!"

"That guy just wants to take away the loot from the bandits, it's obvious that it was taken from us..."

And even more unpleasant words than these...

The girl had experienced enough during this period.

Alvin didn't need to look to know how she wore such a dim expression now.

Hahaha...

Artoria, do you really like Britannia so much?

Then, I'll let you witness whether this king is worth your commitment.

Feeling the twisted satisfaction surging within his heart.

The gentle and persuasive voice of the young man slowly echoed in the girl's ears.

"Unfortunately, but this is the truth, Artorius..."

"Gratitude for small favors may bring tears of appreciation, and repaying great kindness might make one uneasy. Unrepayable favors might even lead to animosity between parties, because the beneficiary, unable to find peace of mind, can only escape or belittle the other's motives."

"Man is inherently selfish. Without selfishness, one cannot be called human."

"You seem to be unable to understand such things."

"Because, you never considered yourself as a human, so noble, so kind, always thinking for others. In your heart, there has never been a place for yourself."

Alvin lifted his gaze and looked toward the elusive clouds.

"If you don't understand human thoughts, how can you talk about ruling?"