[16] You and Your Sword Make Me Laugh

Start from the beginning

However, unfortunately...

The outcome was decided offstage long ago.

Smack~

The wooden sword in his hand was abruptly knocked away, and the girl's attempt to maintain her sword stance collapsed suddenly. She was even sent flying by this heavy blow, falling into a haystack, looking thoroughly disheveled.

In less than a minute.

The victory and defeat were clear.

His sparring partner was none other than Vile King Vortigern. Although Alvin didn't know who taught Artoria swordsmanship, surveying all of Britannia now, no one could surpass the descendants of the White Dragon in swordsmanship.

Under Vortigern's guidance, Alvin had truly mastered a third of the essence of Vortigern's swordsmanship.

However, the gap in swordsmanship alone wouldn't lead to such a stark contrast. The more important reason was...

"Too fearful."

"In combat, you only defend and never dare to exploit weaknesses. Is this the sword technique of a virtuous saint?"

The girl panted in silence.

Alvin frowned, and his words continued to ruthlessly prick at her heart.

"You aspire to the figure of the Silver Star Guiding the Way, right?"

"Wanting to protect the townspeople, defeat bandits and monsters, and bring clarity to the chaotic era of Britannia."

"But when facing plundering bandits and the demonic dragon Vortigern, do you expect them to kindly put down their weapons, submit to execution, and attain enlightenment?"

Referring to his father as a demonic dragon was a bit over the top in filial piety.

But this thoroughly evil title was quite effective, and since his dad couldn't hear it anyway, Alvin used it as material for his writing.

"Do you still hope that your enemies will have a sudden change of heart and show mercy when facing you?"

"Carrying such a weak mindset, you might as well go home and raise pigs instead of being a knight!"

The sword conveyed his sentiments more effectively than words.

Through this brief clash, Alvin had already discerned the issues that Artoria, who had not yet become a king, was facing at this moment...

Longing for the goodness of people, she was too noble, almost to a pathological extent.

Because she carried the bloodline of the Red Dragon, even when injured, she could easily recover. Thus, she hesitated to use her full strength against the idol she admired.

Always considering others, she overlooked her own position in that bleeding dragon heart.

This inevitably reminded Alvin of Emiya Shirou's similarly pathological sense of justice.

Of course.

If not for harboring such generous determination, she wouldn't be the dazzling King that she was.

However.

The idea of protecting others through self-harm was undeniably twisted.

Alvin wanted to correct all of it.

"You and your sword make me laugh."

The silver-haired youth lifted the sword point expressionlessly, pointing it at the disheveled face of the golden-haired girl. His articulate words rang out like the teachings of a wise man.