Chapter 27

'Charlie' Saffron said putting a hand on his chest.

'I'm sorry' Charles spluttered out.

Saffron shook her head.

'I'm sorry I feel like I took advantage of how vulnerable you are' he said putting some space between them.

'Let's just try and forget this ever happened' Saffron said putting the tea towel on the bench.

'Uh yes' Charles said before turning the dishwasher on.

The air was silent and awkward.

'I'm going to go to bed' Saffron said awkwardly smiling pointing to the bedroom.

'Me too' Charles said scratching the back of his head.

'Um good night' Saffron said awkwardly smiling.

'Night' Charles said painfully smiling while holding a hand up to say goodbye.

Saffron nodded pursing her lips before rushing back to the bedroom. She closed the door behind her before sinking to the ground squeezing her eyes shut and putting her head in her hands.

'Oh saff you idiot' she thought.

She sat there for a while before collecting her thoughts. She changed and got into bed trying to be carful as not to disturb ced. She lay down staring at the ceiling for the next hour. Staring at nothing. Blank.

She sighed before pulling the sheets off her. She opened the door quietly creeping into the hall before heading to the kitchen. She grabbed a glass of water and stood at the sink staring down into it as she held the cup against her chest.

'Saff' Charles whispered startling her.

She jumped before turning around to see Charles in his boxers. His body on full display. She gazed down at his abs before looking back up at his eyes. She cleared her throat.

'Sorry for scaring you' he said.

She shook her head 'what's up?' She said whispering.

'I just wanted to see if you were okay' he asked.

'I'm fine' she smiled 'hey Charlie?' She said.

'Yeah' he nodded.

'Let's keep this between us okay?' She said 'don't tell anyone'.

He nodded 'my lips are sealed' he said placing a finger on them.

'Thanks' she said smiling.

'Can we start again?' Charles asked smiling awkwardly.

She nodded 'yeah'.

The two spent an hour talking in the kitchen before eventually Saffron was called away by Ced who cried out for her. She said goodnight to Charles and gave him a hug. She went back the room, fed Ced, put him down to sleep before going to sleep herself.

***

Saffron woke up to the smell of bacon and eggs. Charles had gotten up early and taken Ced who was rustling. Saffron wandered out to the boys who were dancing around the kitchen. She smiled as Charles pushed the plate towards her. She gladly accepted before devouring the meal. She fed Cedric some scrambled eggs which ended up all over Charles and him.

'So you're going to Max today?' Charles asked wiping himself down as Saffron changed Cedric out of his mucky clothes.

She nodded 'yes I think we both need to sit down like adults and talk to each other. I guess I should hear what he has to say'.