Chapter 25

'What is this?' Saffron asked staring down at the jewellery box that Max had presented her.

'Just a little present from me to you' Max said smiling kneeling on the bed in front of Saffron.

'Max' She frowned 'what is this for?' She asked pushing the box away.

'I can't get anything nice for my wife?' Max asked.

'It's suspicious. What is it's She said crossing her arms raising her eyebrow.

'What do you mean?' Max asked 'please just open it's he said crawling close to her pushing the box back to her.

She sighed 'is this because of last night because you still have a lot of explaining to do' she said before grabbing the box.

She opened the box to find a thing silver chain with a teardrop pearl. She closed it back up and held her hand out to give it back to Max.

'You don't like it?' He asked worryingly.

She frowned and pursed her lips 'Max it's beautiful and you know that it's the necklace I've wanted for a long time' she said before shoving the necklace back in Max's hands and crossing her arms 'but I don't want it because you feel guilty about something. You can't just buy my love like that' she said becoming sad.

'But Saf' he said before sighing 'I did this because I love you and I knew this jeweller had the necklace you wanted. What happened last night was just a coincidence' he said placing the box back in her hands.

She grabbed the box unwillingly and placed it in her suitcase.

'We better get ready. Our flight leaves in 3 hours' she said opening the curtains.

Max stared at his beautiful wife who was currently upset at him.

Meanwhile in a Ferrari bedroom Carlos was steaming with anger. Fury currently running through his veins as he paced his hotel room back and forth. As he turned from one spot a knock interrupted his pace.

'Am I interrupting?' Charles asked.

Carlos stared at him and shook his head.

'You okay you look like you're going to punch someone' Charles said sitting at the table.

Carlos pinched his nose 'do you know what happened last night?' He asked Charles.

Charles stared at him blankly before shaking his head.

'Max admitted that he is the reason that Saff and I broke up' he said sitting on the bed hunched over.

'Huh?' Charles asked 'I think you did that to yourself mate' he said staring back at Carlos.

Carlos shook his head 'no no he sent an article to you about me cheating in the hopes you'd reply. When you did he just happen to be showing Saff something on his phone so when your message popped up on his phone he knew it would intrigue her'

Charles eyes went wide 'what?' He asked.

'Can you believe this?' Carlos asked starting to get angry again.

'I'm sorry but he sent an article to me deliberately to get a reaction in hopes Saff would see it?' He asked.

'Yes' he said 'and I'm sure if it didn't work he would've done something else' Carlos said putting his head in his hands 'I'll be the first to admit that yes I fucked up big time but that's he said in reference to Max 'that is fucked up'.

Charles sat in disbelief as Carlos's words play over.

'He's going to regret it' he said standing up.

'In what way?' Charles asked in a state of confusion.

'I don't know yet' Carlos said pacing again.

'Oh dear' Charles said.

Back on plane Verstappen both Max and his wife were going through their own difficulties. Saffron was currently strapped into the plane seat and looking out the window at the clouds passing below. Max had just spoken with one of the hostesses before resuming his seat next to his silent wife.

'Saff?' He asked peering over to look at her.

She didn't bother looking over at him.

'Saff?' He asked again quietly putting a hand on her thigh.

She sighed 'what do you want?' She asked still not making eye contact.

'I want you to talk to me' Max said still trying to get her to look at him.

She squeezed her eyes together 'Will you just tell me what happened between you and Carlos last night?' She asked.

He stared at her. His eyes darting across her face before he sighed.

'I told Carlos the story of how we met. After that I was talking to him about how you guys broke up. He got angry that we were hanging out together. I guess a mixture of him being drunk and telling stories got to him' Max shrugged.

'Are you telling me the truth?' She asked.

'Of course I am' he said swallowing hard.

'That's the truth?' She asked.

He nodded his head 'yes I swear'.

'Okay' she said staring at him 'I believe you' she said before looking back out the plane window.

Max sighed and left his hand on her thigh. She left her hand on top. Max stared down at her their hands and smiled.

***

'I hope he wasn't too much trouble' Saffron said grabbing Ced from the ground cooing over him.

Max's mum shook her head 'of course he wasn't' she said poking his chubby cheek.

'Oh good' Saffron said grabbing his baby bag.

'Hey how was the awards night?' She asked helping Saffron grab the last of Ced's things.

Saffron sighed 'it was good' she said before weakly smiling 'just really tired' she chuckled.

Max's mum nodded before squeezing her arm 'go home and get some rest. Spend some time with your boys' she said smiling.

Saffron nodded before loading up the car. She waved goodbye to Max's mum and headed on home. Max had gone to get groceries for dinner. When she arrived home Max was still out. She unpacked the car and dropped everything off on the dining table before heading for the bathroom. She and Cedric shared a shower and they changed into their pyjamas.

Saffron took a seat on the couch and let a big sigh, Cedric letting out a big yawn. She put something on the TV and the two of them slowly drifted into sleep as the tv sounded in the background.