Back To CHS - Chapter 8

Start from the beginning

I took out my danish and ate with her, leaning over the island. A brief silence ensued as we both ate our goodies. It seemed as though Dash had a new sense of confidence that she hadn't had the night before last. Both last night and this morning, she's seemed to much more comfortable around me. An inadvertent smile grows on my face as I watch Dash eat her pastry, thinking about how happy I was with her newfound relaxing demeanour around me. Dash quickly takes note of my smile.

"What are you smiling about." Dash says smiling back at me.

"I'm happy. I tend to smile when I'm happy." I say back to her. "Why are you smiling?"

"Because you are. I like to see you happy." Our eyes meet as a familiar silence is held. Was Dash really thinking about me in the way I thought she was? I couldn't tell whether she was just being overly friendly due to our reunion as old friends or whether she felt the way I thought she felt about me, if her old flirtatious tendencies with me hadn't fully disappeared from 3 years prior. Despite my doubts, I hold the stare with her for a few seconds longer, evidently feuling whatever it is she feels before I break it by looking away and taking a sip of my coffee, not wanting anything to be misunderstood. Dash responds in kind, continuing to eat her pastry.

"So. . .what do you wanna do today?" Dash asks.

"Don't you have soccer training today?"

"I've canceled it, I'll go tomorrow. I wanna show you round, take you to some of our old hangs." I smile once again at Rainbow's kindness, this was very much unlike her. Something I've noticed is that she doesn't seem so tough when it's just me and her alone, she lets her guard come down a heck of a lot more when she's with me, there's a gratification I get from it that's difficult to explain. All I can really do is smile at her and hope she understands.

"Well you can't go out like that." I say motioning my hand to her pyjamas. Rainbow looks down at her pyjamas, a t-shirt with a lightning bolt on it and a pair of tartan boxer-style shorts.

"Gimme a sec." she says as she puts down her almost finished danish and heads back into the bedroom, leaving me at the island. I heard slight jolts and openings of drawers but, and it really felt like a 'sec', Rainbow came out soon after wearing a pair of her usual baggy jeans, an oversized black leather bomber, half zipped up, and a white cropped tank, her hair tied back in a ponytail. I couldn't believe how fast she changed, especially to look as good as she did.

"Damn, Rainbow. That was fast." I eye her up and down as she walks over to the door, grabbing her keys on her way and putting them in her pocket along with her wallet and phone. She also grabs the rest of her danish once she reaches the island.

"Well they don't call me Rainbow Dash for nothing, AJ." she says, drawing a scoff from me. "Now let's go, there's somewhere I wanna show you."

"Where?"

"You'll see. . ." Dash says suspiciously as she opens the door for me, letting me out first. I smile and shake my head as I walk out, her cocky tone peaking my interest.

----------------------------------------------------------

Dash and I walk down the main high street in uptown Canterlot, where Dash and Sunset lived. A familiar street to me as it was the one Dash, the others and I used to go to almost every day after high school. It had the best cafés, the best restaurants and also the central mall in uptown Canterlot, where we also used to frequent. It was refreshing to be back here as it reminded me of my high school days, some of the best of my life. College was great and all, but it was also when some of us started to rebel almost, introducing unhealthy habits, Sunset and her drug use, rarity and her Snapgab hyperfixation and, of course Dash with her alcohol abuse. High school felt like the last time everything seemed ok. I wouldn't mind passing by CHS, just to see how it had changed since I'd seen it last. Dash seemed as though she had the same idea as we were walking in the direction of the school, maybe that's where she wanted to show me? My suspicions were immediately shut down however as I felt my arm being dragged away by Rainbow, leading us into a grocery store.