XXXVI. Dragon Training

The Dragon Pits were a place heavily guarded and only the royal family ever had access to them. There, all the dragons resided and the Chambers housing them ran beneath the famous city of King's Landing.

They eventually led to another opening, outside of the city and it was usually at the second opening that dragons would gather before taking flight

However, since many new ones had been hatched; they were kept closer to the Red Keep in order for the young Princes to work with them; under the guidance of Naelys.

The Dragon Whisperer had taken it upon herself to ensure all the dragons were unchained and well-behaved, while also being taken good care of. She made sure to put any Keeper in his place when she thought their barbaric slaver ways were too much.

She had, of course, taken it upon herself to train all of the boys, nephews and step-brothers, on how to properly connect with their dragons but also make sure they trained them well.

Unlike adult dragons, young ones were harder to train. While the bond existed ever since they first hatched in the crib, the young ones did not know what their riders wanted of them.

They did not know the commands nor knew how to be guided, while often choosing to do something else. It was crucial, in such moments, that the rider knew how to make sure they remained connected with the Dragon but not cross over any boundaries.

Like training a young dog, it took time and discipline. Something that not all of the boys seemed to have but at least they tried, in their own ways.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

During one of the usual lessons, it was Lucerys' turn to work on his dragon; Arrax.

The young juvenile dragon was in the middle of the training platform, having been escorted out by the Keepers. There, Luce was waiting for him but one could see he was not always the bravest when facing him.

Not that far away, his half-brothers Aemond and Aegon but also his full brother, Jace, were watching in silence.

A keeper brought a goat and chained it to a post, preventing the shouting animal from escaping at the sight of the growing scaly predator.

"Okay, Lu, remember your lessons," Naelys said as she stood not that far away from him in case she needed to interfere.

She had also matured more over the years, her white hair having a more silver/grey shade compared to the rest of the Targaryens. They had also grown longer but were still held in a side braid that almost reached her waist.

Her clothes were now only in the shade of black, a combination of leather and cotton that resembled a lighter form of armour but allowed her to easily ride and fight if she had to

Her sword was always by her waist, strapped there and ready to be used while fingerless gloves always covered her fingers.

Her nephew gulped and focused on the beautiful white dragon with faint shades of orange on his spikes and wing membranes.