IX. The Funeral

After a few days of mourning, a funeral would take place for both the deceased Queen but also her son who only lived for a day before departing for the halls of the father.

The funeral was outside, far away from the city and only the closest family had been present, along with a few trusted ones from the small council.

The bodies of the mother and her baby were wrapped and carefully placed on the pyre, surrounded by wood. Targaryen tradition was for one to be burnt and their ashes placed along with their ancestors in the Royal tombs of Dragonstone.

For that funeral, dragon fire would be used and no ashes would be taken, a task that required the two girls to be present whether they liked it or not. They stood at the very front, holding their hands together in a tight and comforting grip. Since the night of the Queen's death, those two rarely let go of one another.

Rhaenyra was the one that was shown the most pity with silent glances from everyone around her, the girl trying her hardest to hold back her tears.

Naelys stood by her side, always offering comfort and burying deep her pain; away from anyone else to see. Some dared to comment that she was heartless, for her face did not show the grief they expected from her.

She blocked out all the gossip about her and kept her stoic expression, dissociated from the world around her. It was the only way for her to remain sane and also offer support and strength to her younger sister.

The sky above them was clear as day, the sun slowly setting peacefully but also clashing with the mourning and sad mood that existed. Some might find it cruel that such weather would happen over such a tragic event.

Naelys, however, felt comfortable in it. The gods were showing them that both Aemma and Baelon were now at peace, somewhere with no more pain or sadness. A place where they would be loved, and reconnected with all those they had lost. The Dragon Whisperer was never one of religion but at that moment, it offered her comfort to know that the woman she had seen as a second mother was in a better place.

A series of clicks were heard faintly, carried by the wind before it was followed by the sound of heavy steps. From above the hill, Syrax and Nissera emerged and yet came to a halt at a respected distance.

Everyone waited but nothing happened, for the Princess hesitated to give the order to her dragon. Her hand shook and she squeezed Naelys' hand with even more force. The teenager realised how hard it was for her and she glanced a look behind her.

King Viserys stood with his head low, not daring to look the girls in the eyes, especially after his true daughter had found out how her mother died. He mourned in silence, not speaking a word to them all those days, which only made Rhaenyra feel worse.

Then, her eyes landed on Daemon that stood not that far away. He had his head slightly bowed in respect and yet his violet eyes were always on her. There seemed to be a mental communication between them for he gave the faintest of nods with his head.

Naelys looked forward at the bodies and took a deep breath, head held high and not a single tear visible. Then, she spoke the words for her sister.

"Dracarys"

Her huge dragon moved closer to the pyre, the size intimidating to many. And yet when her yellow eyes landed on the pre-light pyre, understanding could be almost seen in the way she bent her body and neck as a sign of respect to the dead. Then, she opened her mouth and breathed carefully and gently fire on them, allowing them to burn while silence existed amongst Everyone.

The fire burnt and slowly, one by one they all departed but a few, who remained the longest. Even Aliscent was eventually forced to follow her father and that left the two adopted sisters and Daemon, along with Ser Harrold.

Eventually, Rhaenyra had enough and allowed the Lord Commander to escort her towards the carriage. However, when he turned to motion for Naelys as well, the older girl did not budge.

"Go, I will bring her back," Daemon said and the Knight was hesitant at first before he gave a nod.

In the end, only the two of them were left seeing the pyre that slowly died as it burnt the bodies laying at the centre of it. Syrax had been led away but Nissera remained, having sat down and waited.

Naelys had enough and marched towards the she-dragon before grabbing the scales at the side of her face, holding on to them as she closed her eyes and tried to regain her composure. The dragon left some clicks but did not move, allowing the girl to cling to her for support.

Yellow eyes landed on Daemon, who slowly approached the white-haired girl. In the past, the she-dragon was careful around the Rogue Prince but over the years and the many flights together, she had learnt to accept him...to a certain degree.

"I have no words on how to comfort you" he admitted but still tried, not liking seeing her that broken.

He would not lie but he had started to care for her as the years passed, her image not leaving his mind no matter what he did. When he was away, he still kept thinking about her with a silent growing obsession.

Yet, now, the mighty Targaryen prince did not know how to help. He felt her pain partially in his own heart, seeing how hard she tried to remain strong while others gossiped and tried to bring her down.

She refused to cry in front of others, show weakness and instead took once again the role of the protector and the support to Rhaenyra...something perhaps he should have done but failed to do so.

"Yet here you are...I guess that does help...somehow" she replied to him, her eyes closed as she slowly let her beating heart calm down, leaning more on the dragon.

"It is not wise to stay out here for long. We should return soon" he said, looking at the setting sun.

With a beast like Nissera by her side, no harm would come to her but Ser Harrold left him with her, expecting him to keep her safe. He would keep her safe, no matter what, but how he could voice that out was tricky.

Naelys let out a sigh, taking a moment longer to gain strength and comfort in the presence of Nissera, whom she had not seen since the death of Aemma. The vibrations of her clicks reached deep into her body, her scales rough but warm to the touch as she-dragon left smoke come from her nostrils. It was clear that she was holding fire in her mouth, to produce heat for the young rider.

Eventually, she pushed herself off the dragon and took a few deep breaths to regain composure. She felt weak and tired, having fought so hard to keep her emotions in check and saying those words that ignited the pyre that burnt the body of the woman, who willingly took the place of her mother.

Exhaustion and lack of sleep caught up with her, causing her to stumble back. However, a body quickly stopped her from falling and his arms gently wrapped around her weight and under her knees before she was picked up bride style.

"When was the last time you slept?" Daemon asked her, looking at her tired form.

Naelys rested her head on his shoulder, close to his neck and her Amber eyes were half open. "Don't know" she muttered before she felt her eyes closing, his comforting scent reaching her nose.

The Rogue Prince watched her in silence for a moment, carrying her in his arms. He felt the eyes of the dragon watching her silently, wondering what the beast truly had in mind. Yet, he was not stopped as he made his way towards his black stallion.

He somehow managed to get on the saddle and place the now asleep Naelys in front of him. Securing her similarly to how he had done the first day they rode together, he took off to the path that led to King's Landing as the sun slowly set behind him and the body of Nissera became more and more distant.