XII. A Quick Reunion

After their little night flight, the three children returned to the Dragon Pit with the latest addition to the dragon family. Seasmoke landed first and Nissera followed while Laena took one last round.

"Oh ho" Laenor exclaimed when he noticed their parents waiting for them, a look of disapproval on their faces.

Immediately, the two teenagers climbed off their respected beasts just as the disappointed looks of the two adults were directed their way. Before they could explain, Vhagar landed as well and caused a small fright to the dragon keeper, who quickly grabbed their weapons.

However, time for them seemed to slow down as Laena climbed off Vhagar, her child-size body standing out against the huge beast of the dragon by her side.

"Laena?!" Princess Rhaenys exclaimed, not believing her eyes. "What were you all doing so late at night?"

"I am a dragon rider, mother," the girl said with the biggest smile ever.  "Vhagar and I bonded"

That was already clear enough to the two adults and Lord Corlys did not hide his joy and pride as he was quick to pick up Laena in his arms and lift her. 'My girl', he kept repeating, spinning with her slightly a few times.

Naelys smiled at the sweet moment and marched towards the couple. Once close enough she bowed her head. "Do not blame them, I forced them into it. I knew Vhagar was looking for a new rider and I wanted to see if Laena could be the one" she lifted her head to look at them, taking a deep breath. "If you wish to punish someone, let it be me"

The two adults looked at the older girl as she took responsibility and was ready to face the consequences of her actions. It was mature of her to do so and while they felt they needed to do something, deep down they knew they truly couldn't.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After the eventful night, Naelys had fallen asleep with a smile on her face, satisfied about how things had turned out to be.

The next morning, she had woken up early and before everyone else. Deciding to grab the chance, she wore her usual riding clothes which were also her most comfortable ones and made her way to the beach.

The sun was now rising and she had some time before morrow fast would be served. It gave her a chance to take once again the smell of the sea and dive her feet into the cold waters, her boots resting not that far away from her on the sand.

Her eyes were closed as the morning wind moved her loose hair behind her. She knew soon she would have to return to King's Landing so she tried her best to enjoy her as much as she could during her stay at Driftmark.

The sound of sand crunching under someone's boot made her focus on the present. Yet, she kept her eyes closed and took a moment longer to soak in the warm sun on her pale skin.

"I should have known. When I heard the roar of Vhagar, I should have known you had your hand in it" Daemon's voice reached her.

A smirk formed on her lips, amusement at his words but also internal happiness to hear his voice for real and not inside her head when she was reading his letters.

"I will try to take that as a compliment"  was her reply as she turned her body and walked towards him.

She saw his signature smirk, equally amused by her words. Taking her boots in one hand, the two of them started to walk on the beach in a similar way they would walk the perimeter of the small garden back at the Red Keep.

"I will admit. I didn't expect to see you here" he said after a moment of silence, head facing forward but his eyes often stealing side glances at her.

"Things got depressing back at King's Landing. Without you present either...it was getting too much. I needed an escape" she admitted, once again fully confiding to him. "Felt more like a cage than a house. Everyone is just locked into their own little personal misery"

Daemon heard her, noticing the faint tension in her jaw and her narrowing her eyes slightly. She had little expressions on her face when something truly bothered or affected her, but few truly paid attention to it.

Not him, however. He always had his eyes on her and he knew her better than people thought.

She, also, knew him quite a lot. What he thought and how he thought certain things, his ambitions and the way he saw life and the people that surrounded him.

They had this odd but also perfect harmony with one another, knowing just enough to have a headstart compared to others; but not to the point a dealing couple of soulmates would know.

Although, who said they were or could not be that?

Perhaps they couldn't but none of the two truly had thought about them and their relationship to that extent. There was an age difference in the way, although they had been worst ones in the history of humankind.

It was also the fact that Daemon often messed around with women, choosing basic pleasures for a night over the woman he married. Similarly, Naelys was more interested in her mission and did not bother or truly got attracted to the opposite or even the same sex.

"As much as I wish I could return and help you, I cannot" Daemon admitted, coming to a halt as she stared at the dunes for a moment. "I am here to ally with Corlys. Fight his war against the pirates and this...Crab Feeder"

Naelys knew of the ongoing piracy and the hierarchy existing in the free cities. She kept tabs on them for years now, listening to every gossip she could pick on. She had no true anger against them despite what some members of the free cities and perhaps the triarchy, did to her mother and her.

To quote Princess Rhaenys, she had put it all behind her.

Yet, this Crab Feeder had caused troubles as he attacked all kinds of sips and then left the crew to be crab food; literally. His attacking the ships of Corlys and the hesitation of the Crown to help him; had ruined the mood of the Lord of Driftmark.

She had eavesdropped on his little war council and how he lost provisions and ships, how the pirates started to control harbours and make trade almost impossible. The crown would not support him and he lacked the firepower to fight the pirates....which was where Daemon came in.

"Even if I say I don't like this idea, you will still go....won't you?" She asked as she moved around him and stopped right in front of him. Her head was lifted to keep her gaze on him. "You have already made up your mind"

Daemon placed his hand on her cheek, once again enjoying the odd sensation of her warm skin against his cold one. The way her eyes hypnotised him with their gaze and the feeling of her hair pressed against his hand.

Despite seeing his lady-wife, he had no interest in her. For whenever he closed his eyes, all he saw was the image of Naelys in front of him; just like she was now. Her memory stayed in his mind, often thought about her when he read her letter.

Even Caraxes seemed to be missing her, for the red wyvern would often look around him for Nissera or search around Daemon in case Naeys was with him. When he would realise neither she nor her dragon was present, he was disappointed.

"I will write to you, If you will continue to write me back" he added, making a small smile form on her lips.

"Like I said the last time, it would be rude not to write you back" once again, her words amused him and she could see that hidden side of his once again. "When do you have to leave?"

"Soon, why?"

A smirk appeared on her face. "Have time for one last dragon ride?"