XXIX. Wedding Feast

Not long after Naelys had taken her place at the Royal Table, the King chose to begin his speech. Alicent had yet to come but the people were waiting for the feast to start.

Knowing this, Viserys lifted from his seat slowly and earned everyone's attention. "Be welcome as we gather here for a celebration. Tonight is only the beginning. We honour the Crown's oldest and fiercest ally: House Velaryon. Our histories reach back to the days of 0ld Valyria and the age of dragons. With House Velaryon-'

His speech was cut short when he noticed someone standing by the entrance of the hall. His gaze was quickly followed by everyone and a few faint gasps could be heard from different parts of the room.

The Queen Consort herself had appeared, not once seeing to care that she was delayed. Instead, she walked with pride towards the table but the thing that had gotten everyone's was her dress.

Alicent had chosen to wear a dark green dress with emeralds around her neck, a clear representation of her house's colours. However, there was one more thing behind such change. The Hightowers wore green when they would go to combat.

Passively, to any third person, this would look like an open challenge but the question was to whom. Was it a challenge to the king himself? A clear representation of her taking control slowly and starting to speak up?

Or was it a war against her main competitor: Rhaenyra? A proof that she was still a Hightower and there was no true connection between the Queen Consort and the Heir.

Naelys was not sure but instead of feeling some pride, she felt a hidden passive worry. Something was not feeling right at that moment and the feeling did not go away even as she tried to look away from the Queen.

Everyone stood up, almost. Naelys was delayed due to her initial shock but followed after like everyone else. It was Daemon, who chose to remain seated and was passively glaring at the Queen.

Alicent bowed first and then kissed her husband on the cheek, before taking her place by his right, being between the King and Naelys. However, the older woman barely stole a glance in the Dragon Whisperer's direction and Naelys swore she felt a certain coldness coming from her.

Everyone was seated and the king continued with his speech, before allowing everyone to start eating.

Naelys remained quiet and mindful of her manners. She could feel so many pairs of eyes on her but she did not seem to care, rather trying to hide her smirk behind her goblet as she took in the sweet flavour of red wine.

Only one pair of eyes or better say two, were the most prominent ones. The first came from the man by her side, who did little in hiding his actions while the latter came from Ser Harwin; who stole glances at her from a different table.

While many Lords appeared to pay their respects and give their blessings for the wedding, Daemon chose to misbehave. He moved his leg faintly, parting his legs some more until he was pressing his thigh against hers.

It was the side of the dress that had the cut on and he could feel her exposed skin against the material of his pants, the familiar heat radiating from her body like a never-dying pyre. He glanced in her direction, seeing her reacting momentarily before hiding her shock behind her goblet once again.

"Smart girl" he whispered close to her ear in High Valyrian, praising her for her idea to use the goblet.

Naelys swallowed with little more force than usual upon feeling his breath reaching her skin, goosebumps appearing across her pale skin; her body reacting against her will when it came to his presence.

"You are in the mood" she whispered back at him as she lowered her goblet and allowed a servant to refill it.

Daemon smirked as he leaned more back on his chair, his one hand holding the goblet. His other was carefully placed upon her exposed lap beneath the table, causing her to take a sharp breath intake to compose herself.