Chapter 29: Bookman's Past

Oooooohhhhhhhhh

Bookman's POV

As we returned I could see the sadness on Crystal's face as she dropped to her knees. She collapsed soon after that and Lavi rushed to her side.

Immature boy... He forgets why he's here.

However I remember very clearly the girl's past because it is mine as well.

*flashback*

It was before I had taken Lavi along with me to become a Bookmen, I had come across a woman with her child. She'd been attacked by an Akuma and was recovering.

"Do you need help Miss?" I asked bending down next to her.

"Please can you take us some place safe?" I nodded and helped her over to my village not far. "Thank you." She said as she sat down in one of the chairs in the living room.

"Of course, but tell me why were you attacked?" She frowned and looked at her child. She looked no more than five.

"Whether you believe it or not I'm angel, my daughter she's different she has half my blood and half the blood of an Exorcist." I went wide eyed.

"Does she possess Innocence?" A swift nod followed and I could see the worry on her face.

"The Earl has been hunting her for a long time, so please I ask you to give her a safe home. You're a Bookmen correct?" I nodded as the child awoke.

"Mommy, where are we? And who is this man he looks like a panda..." I felt a nagging irritation as I remembered that was the nickname my grandson gave me.

"His names Bookman, he's going to take care of you. I have to go somewhere that's far too dangerous so please be good for him." I held the girl as she tried to follow her mother as she vanished into a bright light.

"Mommy!!!!" She dropped to her knees crying. I was not good at taking care of a child, but I wasn't going to let an Accommodator go wandering around for the Earl's Akuma to come kill her.

"Don't worry my dear, I'll take care of you until we find you a nice home." That's how our lives went for a while, walking around trying to find a home for this little girl.

*flashback over*

I hadn't done my job, the Earl still got Crystal and did unimaginable things to her because I couldn't find a place for her to live and be safe.

Please forgive me Andrea... I couldn't keep your daughter safe...

"Hey old panda are you alright? You're crying..." Lavi knocked me out of the past. I wiped the tears from my eyes.

"I wasn't crying you brat! I got something in my eyes." He grinned that stupid grin of his.

"You old panda...!" I kicked him into the wall and walked over to Crystal to assess her injuries.

For the most part she was fine.

"How is she?" Allen asked.

"She'll be fine, a few cuts and bruises but that's it." Lenalee sighed in relief.

"That's great, I was worried it would have been worse." I looked at her sleeping form.

It will be much worse if the Earl gets his hands on her again...

"For now let's get her to her room." I said and Allen picked her up.

"Wow how does Lavi make holding her look so easy?" He groaned from the dead weight.

"Give her here." Lavi said and grabbed her.

"Lavi... please... forgive me..." She muttered in her sleep. Everyone looked at her shocked.

"For what?" My grandson muttered.

She opened her eyes and then she looked at me.

"I know you did everything you could for me Bookman. I'm not mad and I'm sure my mom isn't either. When the Earl wants something he'll do whatever it takes to get it... so please don't be upset by it, she knew she would die... I just want you to know, that no matter what happens in the weeks to come... if my life is given up to him, then I want you to go... ahead and kill me... I would rather die then be his puppet..." She struggled to get her last few sentences out, her eyes closed. "Never... again..." Was the last thing she said before she went limp again.

"What's she talking about gramps? What did you do for the Silverwing family?" Lavi asked but I turned away.

"Just take her to her room. I have some business I have to attend to..." I walked over to the bookshelves and grabbed a few books as the kids left.

"Crystal... you're a fool for believing I'd kill you if he took you again... I could never."