Chapter 22: Enduring the Pain

Bookman has an idea to help with the pain Crystal endures from both her angelic powers and the memories she sees everyday

It's been a few days since I've been back, not many people knew about me being part of the Clan of Noah so I wasn't given too many weird looks, but I couldn't fight the memories and flashbacks of the pain and suffering I had caused.

Everyday I would always end up crying myself to sleep or something like that because I was starting to not be able to tell reality from my memories.

Today was no different I was heading to my room for the night and no doubt more crying, when Bookman stopped me by stepping into my walking path.

"Crystal please come with me." He said and I followed confused at why he wanted me. Him and Kumoi had laid off with the interrogations after they had seen what they did to me.

We went to the top of the Order on to the roof.

"Why are we up here?" I asked confused and a little worried at Bookman's calm demeanor.

"You're suffering I can tell. Your angelic powers allow you to endure the pain but at a price, what if I told you I could help you push through that price so that you could just relieve your pain through song." I felt a burst of happiness swell within me.

"Really?! I could be free of my pain?" He nodded swiftly.

"But I don't believe it will be easy. Are you ready to endure nights of heartlessness?" I remember the feeling of having no control over my body, but compared to this pain I would gladly take it.

"Yes I am." He nodded and then explained that I would have to sing the Song of Holy Light once again.

I brought my wings out slowly and then looked up at the sky as feathers fell.

"Ne perdatis luces
Cantum sanctum nunc accipite
Oro, canto, vobis
Fiat lux

Spes, ne perdatis
Cantum lucum nunc accipite
Dono animam mea
Fiat lux."

As I sang I felt my will disappearing again, but then I heard Lavi's voice.

"Crystal what are you doing?!" I could hear him struggling to get past Bookman. "Move you old panda!"

"She's enduring her pain, Lavi. She needs to do this, you're just upset because you can't handle your own pain." I wanted to cry because Lavi was upset by this, but for once I wasn't in pain.

After the song ended my wings and the feathers vanished into sparkling light and my will was thrown back. I turned back to them against my will and Lavi dropped to his knees.

"Crystal..." I wanted to go hug him and tell him everything would be alright, but I couldn't even move the smallest finger.

"Lavi don't mention this to anyone, now take her to her room and let her rest. She'll be fine in the morning." Bookman said quietly.

Lavi said nothing as he came over and carefully led me down to my room.

"Why did you agree to this Crystal? Why didn't you just talk to one of us about it, we can help. If you just trust us." Lavi finally said opening my door and leading me inside.

I'm sorry Lavi please forgive me...

"Why couldn't I just tell you the truth before you disappeared... I-I... forget it..." He turned and left with a sad expression on his face.

What are you hiding from me?