Chapter Fifteen: Idalia

Start from the beginning

In a mere twenty minutes, I find myself at the destination I sought. Despite the swiftness with which I located their residence, a testament perhaps to my own resourcefulness, I am undeterred from confronting them head-on. The possibility that WWA may have also uncovered this information lingers in my mind, but it doesn't dissuade me from standing at their doorstep.

Despite my keen awareness of the recklessness in my actions, the urgency of recent revelations and Avalyn's sudden absence leaves me with no choice but to abandon caution. I can't afford to tiptoe around this any longer. I need to draw attention to this case, to mobilize more resources, and to expedite their rescue. Time is of the essence, and I refuse to let hesitation delay their liberation.

I rap a quick, rhythmic beat against the worn door, my senses alert as I cautiously press a finger against the peephole, preemptively guarding against any sudden aggression. The door swings open with surprising speed, revealing Avalyn's favored companion, his presence immediately recognizable. His shock is palpable, mirrored by the silent figure lurking just behind him.

"Found her," Cierien breathes out, his disbelief written all over his face.

"Actually, it seems like I found you," I quip, pushing past him and making myself at home.

As they tense, poised for aggression, I raise my hands in a gesture of surrender, a sardonic smile playing on my lips. "Easy now," I interject, a chuckle escaping me despite the tension in the air. "How about you hear me out before resorting to ripping my head off?" I observe the girl's increasingly hostile demeanor, noting the subtle signs of readiness for attack. "I bring tidings, perhaps good, perhaps bad, depending on your perspective."

Despite my initial intention for Avalyn to disclose the news, a surge of excitement overtakes me, compelling me to seize the moment. As they stand there, stunned and bewildered, I relish the opportunity to be the bearer of such significant tidings. The rush of anticipation eclipses any other emotion, propelling me forward with a sense of exhilaration.

"Spit it out, and fast," Wrath growls from behind me.

Like hell if I'm not going to prolong such satisfaction.

I roll my eyes at the theatrics, allowing my gaze to linger on his imposing figure as I size him up. He's undeniably handsome, in a rugged and intimidating manner, with muscles that seem to bulge beneath his clothes, and a scowl that could make even the bravest falter. His dark eyes match the hue of his hair, adding to his aura of intensity. If Cierien is the epitome of adorable, like a loyal puppy, then Wrath embodies the terrifying monster that lurks beneath beds and feeds on the fear of children. Despite my better judgment, I can't deny that Avalyn has an eye for allure.

As much as I prefer my men to be on the docile side in all aspects outside the bedroom, akin to Cierien, but to look tall, dark, and ragged, like Wrath- I find myself unable to fathom the need for two of them. One is undoubtedly sufficient, their presence is often more cumbersome than anything else. The perplexity of Avalyn's choice to have two such disparate individuals by her side remains a mystery to me.

I recall the first time I laid eyes on Wrath, back when I was just sixteen years old and my father brought me to the Adairs' establishment. He was confined to a grimy, oppressive cell at the time. The conditions of those cells were far worse than anything we maintained- or rather, what my father, that despicable man, maintained. I seldom ventured near that part of the operation unless summoned by him, as he preferred to keep me away from the adults involved, involving me only with the victims I was unwillingly tasked to lure in.

Sophie's beauty surpasses that of both men combined, a fact I can't deny, though my attraction to women has always been purely aesthetic, sometimes even sexual, rather than romantic. Her eyes, tilted upwards and made even more enigmatic by the heavy eyeliner framing them, hold a certain allure. With her long, dark hair and bangs veiling her forehead, she exudes a captivating charm. Admittedly, I didn't initially register her beauty; my focus was elsewhere, preoccupied with the task at hand- ending her life.