5

Paris Carter | Riri
Atlanta,Ga

On a cool, sunny day after school, the air was filled with a sense of accomplishment and anticipation. I, a dedicated and ambitious student, had just turned in my dual enrollment forms.

The thought of earning my senior credits ahead of time brought a smile to my face, a smile that was a blend of pride and excitement for what the future held.

After, I hurried to the gym, my steps quick and light, my heart beating with the rhythms of possibility.

Changing into my practice clothes, I felt a transition not just in attire but in mindset. The gym, with its familiar smell of polished wood and the sound of sneakers squeaking against the floor, felt like a second home.

It was here that I could push my limits, challenge myself, and, most importantly, be part of a team that felt more like family.

Serai walked over smiling. She greeted me with a question that was both a challenge and a reassurance. "You ready for today, Riri?" she asked, her voice a mix of excitement and support.

I smiled shrugging, we began to stretch together. I shared my mixed feelings.

"Yes and no. Yes, because I'm 100% that I gave my best performance last week. No, because the other girls were really good too" I explained as she shook her head listening.

Don't get me wrong, I was confident in my performance but couldn't help but feel a twinge of anxiety about my competition.

Serai's response was immediate and unwavering. "Don't doubt yourself, Riri. We all know you got that spot. Plus, I don't know why you're worried about those other girls anyway. If anything, they know you're the threat." Her words were like a beacon of confidence, cutting through my momentary uncertainty.

Smiling, I felt a surge of gratitude for Serai's unwavering support. It was moments like these that reminded me of the strength found in our friendship and mutual encouragement.

"Yeah, you're right," I agreed, my spirits lifted by Serai's confidence in me. With a playful tug, Serai pulled me up.

"I know I'm right. Now come lead us in warm-ups before Coach A come through trim" she said, her voice a mix of command and camaraderie.

Giggling, I walked with her, feeling a renewed sense of purpose. As I called the girls to get into formation, I noticed Jade and her group hesitating, here these bitches go.