Chapter Thirteen: Avalyn

Start from the beginning

 I feel a surge of revulsion as I meet his gaze, realizing there's no humanity left in him, only darkness and cruelty. He's devoid of goodness, a hollow shell of a man driven by his malevolent desires. It's incomprehensible to me how individuals like him can walk the earth, perpetuating such atrocities.

 Once, I might have viewed vampires as the epitome of monstrosity, but in this moment, surrounded by individuals like him, it's evident where the true darkness lies. It's not in the supernatural, but in the cold, calculating souls who move among us, draped in wealth and privilege, yet devoid of compassion or empathy. As I stand before him, I can't help but feel a chill creep down my spine, realizing that the true monsters often wear the guise of humanity.

 Anger boils within me, coursing through my veins until I'm trembling with rage. My fingers curl into fists, digging into my palm and aching to unleash the fury that's building inside me. I yearn to tear him apart, to make him suffer a pain far greater than any he's inflicted upon others.

 Idalia's voice cuts through the tension, her eyes fluttering as she attempts to diffuse the palpable hostility emanating from the man. "Forgive her, again she's—" 

 "About to rip your throat out."

 In a moment of impulse, I don't allow Idalia to finish her plea. Without thinking, I grab hold of the man's suit and forcefully pull him towards me. He lets out a surprised yelp, and I feel a scream begin to build as my teeth sink into him, but it soon dies out with him as I drop him to the unforgiving ground. I catch Idalia's eyes, and for the first time since I've met her, I find fear and panic reflected in her gaze. She wastes no time in grabbing me again, pulling me further into the hallway. But I resist her grip, my instincts driving me to fight against her attempts to guide me away.

 Turning to the woman, I notice her gaze fixated on the scant traces of blood still dripping from the man's wound. Her eyes gleam with a deep crimson hue, yet she makes no move towards the blood. It's as if she's lost in some distant realm, detached from the reality unfolding before her. I can't help but wonder if she's even fully aware of what just occurred, or if her mind is consumed by some other torment, trapping her in a world of her own.

 "Av, we need to go right now before someone comes down this hallway," Idalia's panicked voice brings me back to reality.

 As I realize the extent of my actions, panic sets in. Blood trickles down my chin, staining my hands as I hastily attempt to wipe it away, only succeeding in spreading the crimson mess further. The sticky substance covers me entirely, staining my dress and leaving me feeling utterly exposed.

 In the eyes of those around me, I realize I would likely be cast as the monster. It's a bitter pill to swallow, knowing I would be painted with the same brush as those who truly embody the darkness. The unfairness of it all ignites a firestorm of resentment within me.

 My gaze returns to the woman before me, and despite Idalia's urgency, I find myself compelled to ask her name. "Hey, are you okay? What's your name?" I inquire, my voice shaky with apprehension.

 "Stop it! I'll leave you," Idalia rushes out, her grip tightening on me in a desperate attempt to pull me away.

 In my distraction, I accidentally drop my purse, nearly losing my balance. Before I can reach down to retrieve it, the woman speaks softly, her voice carrying an air of sadness. "Amoret."

 Her voice is quiet, strangely calm, and unaffected. Her eyes finally meet mine, narrowing as her brows pinch together. "Why would you do that?" she questions softly.

 I don't have time to respond as Idalia blurts out, "Someone's coming."

 With a swift motion, she yanks me by my dress, propelling us forward. Instinctively, I reach out for Amoret, pulling her along with us as we flee from the impending threat. My purse is forgotten, left behind in our frantic escape. There's no time to retrieve it now as we hurry to put distance between ourselves and whatever danger lurks nearby.