57. mother, i'm coming home

Start from the beginning

"No good comes from us thinking we could've changed things. We just need to move on and do what's best to make sure WCKD can't do what they just did to us again." Thèrèse continued. The girls had a point.

Nancy was silent for a while, she had nothing more to say after that, her mind had finally been changed towards a more positive perspective. She was glad that her girls were so supportive and caring, even towards her, so she decided that she should do the same. Her thoughts had been clouded for a while, but now her mind was clearer and she could come to terms with everything that happened.

She smiled softly, "Thank you. I don't know what I could've done if it weren't for you."

The girls were all relieved to see that Nancy was starting to think clearly again. She had been so guilty for so long that nobody could've predicted when she would finally come to the realization that she can't take all the blame for it.

Bea smiles warmly, knowing that the girl isn't in too much of a broken state anymore. "You're welcome. We're all here for one another, we'll get through this together."

Minho often couldn't help but wonder if Vicky was still alive, if she was experiencing the same pain and suffering that he was feeling. He wanted to believe that she was still alive and could share their experiences and pain together, as runners.

Vicky was his friend, and it hurt to think that he may never know what happened to her. Minho felt a heavy void in his heart every time she crossed his mind.

The bond between Frypan and Vicky was a strong one. Frypan knew that he could always depend on Vicky to be by his side when things got rough. Even when the odds were stacked against them, Vicky would remain by his side and make sure the two of them would find a way to pull through together. She was gentle and understanding with him, she understood his struggles and was able to relate to him in many ways. They leaned on each other for support and comfort, creating a strong friendship that was unmatched by anyone else.

Vicky's friendship with Thomas was one rooted in trust and loyalty. Even though they came from different sections, their shared experiences bonded them together and they were able to become a team that no one could stand against them.

Vicky treated each of the Gladers as her own siblings, she cared for their well-being like any older sibling would. She would watch out for them and make sure they were safe, never forgetting that they were all part of a team.

The redhead girl was a kind-hearted person who was always able to look past the faults and mistakes of others. She understood that Thèrèse and Teresa might not always perform their best due to various factors, but she never held that against them.

She would never hold a grudge against Teresa or Thèrèse for what they did to her, she knew they were following orders and didn't really have much of a choice.

The funeral was solemn and filled with grief, as everyone attended to pay their final respects to the two fallen lives. The names Vicky and Newt were carved onto the cold cemetery, together as they had been in life.

Vivian wondered where Vicky body was, if she had turned into ashes or if she was still roaming this world as a crank, never to be seen again.

The thought of her daughter not receiving a proper burial crossed her mind the moment they left her body behind. It was something that ate her away from the inside, she felt so guilty for letting that happen to her child.

Vivian was always positive, always calm, cracking jokes, trying to seem everything was 𝘫𝘶𝘴𝘵 𝘧𝘪𝘯𝘦 for them. "Mom.." Prim said sadly, standing close to Bea and Thomas.

Vivian thought about the fact that Thomas didn't get to say a goodbye to Vicky weighed on her heart, he wasn't there when she finally left this world. She glanced towards Thomas sadly, the teenage boy only rest his hand against her shoulder, comforting her.

"I'm alright, darling." Vivian replied softly, as she forced a fake smile onto her face. She wanted to seem fine for her children, she wanted to comfort them and keep them calm. But in reality, it was the opposite, she was a mess herself, everything she was doing was nothing but a mask to hide her true sadness.

"It is okay, Primrose.." Vivian whispered softly, before dragging Thomas, Bea and Prim into a hug. Thèrèse and Teresa stared, before Vivian pulled them in too. Sonya rested her head against her Nancy's shoulder, staring down their brother's funeral which is beside Vicky.

After having witnessed the death of their friends, it felt good for them to all be together, surrounded by the ones that cared for them. This was a reminder of their unity against WCKD and that it would take more than this to break them.

They're all in this together, whether it's living together in the Safe Haven or fighting to bring down WCKD. They are a family and they will support each other no matter what.

Frypan, Gally, Aris, Minho and Harriet stared sadly. Jorge bringing them into a hug. "Everything is going to be okay.." Vivian managed to spill the words from her heartbreak.

She tried her best to be strong for them and not let the grief take over her, she wanted to be there for them in these tough times. They were the ones that needed her at the moment, she's the only one left who can be their source of hope and security.

The people praying could feel the tension and the atmosphere of the funeral, it was obvious how much they were hurting due to the loss of Newt and Vicky. The group was like a family, and the family just lost two of its members.

It's heartbreaking to know that Vicky has a higher chance of coming back home and reuniting with her mother, than Thèrèse does.

Thèrèse was a little more realistic, she knew that her mother was gone forever. It's a painful thought, that she may never get the same opportunity. She will eventually need to face the truth that she most likely will never see her mother ever again, which would be a devastating realization that her coming home to her mother would mean she has to passed away.

Yet, Vicky returning to the Safe Haven would mean she is alive and is coming home as a survivor, she might get to see her mother one day and that thought kept a small glimmer of hope alive.

"the hospital asked
should the body be cast.
before i say goodbye,
my star in the sky.
such a funny thought
to wrap you up in cloth.
do you find it all right,
my dragonfly?"