36. hush baby, don't you cry

(𝗳𝗶𝘃𝗲 𝗺𝗼𝗻𝘁𝗵𝘀 𝗶𝗻; 𝗔𝗽𝗿𝗶𝗹 29𝘁𝗵)

Thèrèse woke up and began the day nonchalantly, doing what she always do, she decided to avoided Teresa, as the girl doing the same. Teresa stayed in her lab and did her work that morning while healing some patients.

While Thèrèse was everywhere in the building, she's a busy woman now. Very busy, with a lot of works, a lot of meetings, and a lot of responsibilities to carried. She did signed up for this. She threw her whole childhood for this, for her mother, for the the sake of the world.

Her usual morning began in the lab, she works alone, and she prefers to stay it that way. After the event she had with Teresa that night at the graduation, the girls have been avoiding eachother, and more focused on their works, their main goals.

Thèrèse scheduled today was to treat a non-immune boy whose in the lab level-13, waiting for Thèrèse' arrival. The boy' condition is not very good, "Hey," Thèrèse said, smiling sweetly as she took a seat and observed the poor boy infront of her.

The boy tried to nods, giving a rough coughs instead, Thèrèse frowns at hearing this, "You'll be fine, I promise.." Thèrèse reassured, giving the boy a soft pat and an encouraging look.

The boy coughs again, this time he managed to nod, "Now, what's your name, young man?" Thèrèse asks, filling up some sample with a kid' blood they used.

"Johnny," He replied, sighing tiredly. Thèrèse nodded, "Johnny, I want you to be strong right now, okay? You'll be fine.. I promise you this.." Thèrèse said, injecting the blood in him. Johnny jumped harshly at the sudden contact, hissing in pain as he tried to control himself. Thèrèse nodded at the doctors behind them, telling them to lower his bed.

Slowly, Thèrèse pulled it out and handed it over to a doctor nearby, "There, there you go.. so strong.." Thèrèse cooed softly as Johnny breathed deeply, soothing himself. The door to the room opened, revealing Carter standing in the hallway. Thèrèse turned abruptly, looking into her father's stern, grey eyes.

Carter tug his head backwards, and it takes just that for Thèrèse to stands up. Politely, she excused herself to the doctors and Johnny, then she followed her father.

"How's the boy?" Carter asked, his pace as usually fastened, Thèrèse matching his pace, her eyes expressionless. "He's doing good, I did some test on him and in the meantime, he'll be fine."

"Let's just hope that is true." Carter huffed, as he and his daughter entered the elevator. Thèrèse lowered her eyelids at his words, this is a one chance to make her father proud, she's not gonna fail this.

She will not fail.

She hates failing.

And, she certainly hates failure.

And if she's one of the failures, then she hates herself. "Sir, is there any important meetings I needed to attend for the month?" Thèrèse asked. "Many. But I'll have Chancellor handled it for you. For now, there's someone I wanted you to handle."

Thèrèse let out a sigh, gulping as she nodded. The elevator door opened as Carter and Thèrèse got out, her emotionless face instantly turned into a confusing one. They were on the ground of the kids they'd captured, for the blood tests. "What do you need me for this, sir?" Thèrèse questions.

"Not me, silly child. The Chancellor. She believes you have more potentials for this kinds of things." Carter scoffs. '𝘉𝘶𝘵 𝘐 𝘢𝘭𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘥𝘺 𝘩𝘢𝘥 𝘢 𝘭𝘰𝘵, 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘭𝘰𝘵 𝘰𝘧 𝘸𝘰𝘳𝘬𝘴 𝘵𝘰 𝘥𝘰.' She wants to say, but keep it quiet instead and held a scowled face.