God is Cruel

{Levi's POV}

"That was your plan?" I asked angrily as I stared Hange down. The tribunal had ended and we were back in the confines of Mercy's prison cell. Mercy sat on the concrete floors with a far away look on her face as Hange and I hashed it out.
"It was either that or let her rot behind bars until the end of eternity, or even worse the death sentence!" Hange shouted and got close enough to my face to where I could feel their breath tickle my nose.

    "I don't want her to forget me, Hange! I can't have this!" I screamed and pointed a finger in their chest

"I don't want her to forget me, Hange! I can't have this!" I screamed and pointed a finger in their chest. "Let her kill me for all I care, because a swift death from the one I love would be better than looking into her eyes and not seeing-"
"You won't be able to look into her eyes because she'll be kept far away from you!"
"That's even worse, Hange!"
"Both of you, be quiet," Mercy's voice was quiet but firm, and it sent chills down my back. Hange and I both looked over to her.
She was sitting staring at her discolored wrists with her sleeves pulled up.
"I know that this was the best plan..." She says softly as she glances up at me with tearful eyes. "I know there was no other way..."
"Mercy, no-"

    "I said quiet," she growled and I instantly shut my mouth

"I said quiet," she growled and I instantly shut my mouth. I glanced at Hange who offered me an apologetic and scoffed.
"Some friend you are," I hissed before turning away from Hange and facing my beloved.
The things we could have been. The people we could have been. It was all so much. It felt like my lungs would cave in as as I bared the weight of staring into Mercy's eyes.
"Hange, can I speak to Levi...alone?" Mercy sighs before slumping backward.
I looked at Hange who nodded their head and turned to leave, but I quickly stopped them.
"Give me the key to her cell," I said firmly. Hange began to protest but I quickly held a hand up. "If she wants to kill me then she'll kill me. That's a risk I'm willing to take. If I'm never going to see her again I'd like to hug her one last time."
Hange stared at me for what felt like hours before they nodded. They sighed and glanced at Mercy.