A Pitiful Handshake

{Levi's POV}

"You want her off your squad?" Hange asked with a raised eyebrow.
"That's what I said," I sneered. "You lost an eye not your ears."
"But why?" they sat their cup of tea down while I took a slow sip of mine.
"It's like you said," I sat my cup on the table and leaned back in my chair, "Another squad could use her strength. I don't need her on mine."

      Hange's lips pursed as they placed their elbows on the table

"It's nice of you to suddenly be so selfless," they said, their voice full of suspicion.
I shrugged my eyebrows and began to pick up my drink.
"Not sure what that's suppose to mean," I said, "But I-"
"It's besides the point. Why do you want her off your squad."
I halted my cup in front of my mouth and stared at them.
Hange could see right through me and had caught onto my conflict many days before, but there was no way I would've been able to let the truth slip past my lips.
How did I tell them that I was afraid of failing my duties as a Section Commander on behalf of my connection to Mercy? How could one of the strongest soldiers of the Scouts admit that their willpower and self control was nearly diminished at the sight of her? How could I tell Hange that I needed Mercy gone because I was terrified of soiling her life? How could I tell them that I was afraid of happiness or loving someone because anytime I did they would always be ripped away from me?
There were a million good reasons to take Mercy off my squad, and when I really thought about it I couldn't think of a good one to keep her on it.
There were too many forces keeping us apart whether it was the timing or the situation or the fear.
There was only one force that brought us together, and that force was me and my own selfish desires, but I wondered if that damn ring had anything to do with it.
I had to put a stop to it all.
"Please take her off my squad," I said quietly after sifting through my thoughts.
I took a quick sip of my tea while they crossed their arms and leaned back on their chair.
Hange's gaze had softened and moved to the table in front of us as if they'd read my thoughts.
"As you wish," they mumbled and took a deep breath before rising to their feet. "I'll go make the arrangements to put Mercy on squad 47. Then, I need to prepare my collections and data from the mission for the meeting in a few hours," they made their way to the door. "In the meantime, go break the news to Mercy and prepare yourself as well."
They opened the door, but halted on the way out.
"Based on the recon mission," Hange began, "I was going to make Mercy your squad's Team Leader. She showed exemplary strength, and her ability to take quick and decisive action would have made her perfect for the feat." They turned their head at me. "Are you sure this is what you want to do?"
I thought about their words for a moment.
Everything inside of me wanted to go back on my request. All of me ached with the thought of Mercy being even further away from me.
I never had the mind of a soldier. I was never meant to be one, but I knew that I had to pretend.
     For humanity's sake.
"Very," I said firmly.
Hange shrugged their lips and lowered their stare before walking out the door.
I finished my tea before following suit several moments later and made my way toward Mercy's quarters.