The Death of Elise Abernathy

{Mercy's POV}

    I watched as my comrades played in the water. They all waded through it with smiles from ear to ear. Levi stayed back on land and would become uneasy with each unknown creature they lifted out of the sea.
    I decided to join them.
    I ran into the water and felt the sand turn to mush between my toes. I picked up a weird shaped rock only to see a slimy critter was falling out of it.

    "Ah!" I exclaimed as I dropped it back in the water which made Levi take a step toward me

    "Ah!" I exclaimed as I dropped it back in the water which made Levi take a step toward me. I looked over at him and began laughing until my stomach hurt.
    It was so nice to take in something so new and so unknown. It was nice to fear creatures smaller than me for once, and it was nice to laugh.
    "Those bastards might be poisonous," I heard Levi mutter as I picked it back up and held it to the sky.
    "Then let me die," I smiled and glanced over at him to see he wasn't amused.
    I continued to frolic and play with my comrades. I would splash water at Jean who would contort his face as he complained about the salt. I watched one of the creatures hook their claws around Connie's fingers which sent him running and screaming. Armin and Mikasa joined Eren as he pointed toward the horizon. Sasha was on her own staring at all the creatures with a hungry expression while Hange was covered in all kinds of wet, leafy material.
    I looked back at Levi who watched us all with his arms crossed.
    I motioned with my head for him to join us, but he only turned away.
Come on, I thought. Join me.
I waded out of the water and onto the dry sand to join Levi. My wet feet were covered in it by the time I reached him.
    I sat down beside him while he continued to stand and watch his squad play.
    I awkwardly took a look around and noticed a piece of land that overflowed with greenery.
    "I'd put my bakery right there," I said as I pointed to the spot several meters behind us.
    He looked at the land and back down to me with a solemn expression on his face before focusing on the squad once again. 
    I slumped forward and drew circles in the sand.
    "Did I...do something?" I asked sheepishly as our comrades laughed and hollered in the distance. 
    "No."
     He watched the sea fold into the land and the salty breeze made his hair sway back and forth.
    "Then-"
    "You didn't do anything wrong," He cut me off sternly.
     We sat in silence for some time as I played in the sand and listened to my friends have fun. I watched as tiny critters would emerge from the land and bury themselves back before the waves of water reached them.
   I wondered if his curiosity turned him against me, or if he was still embarrassed about comforting me during my breakdown. Regardless, the tension between us was tangible.
   "Do you think I'm a monster?" I asked quietly and stared at my grain covered fingers.
   I felt him set himself down beside me and take a deep breath.
   "Why would anyone think that?" he asked, annoyed. I looked over at his side profile and could see the water reflecting off his eyes.
    "You guys locked me up like I was a monster. After seeing my...skills.... you and Hange seem curiously concerned," I laughed nervously. "I feel like you guys are afraid of me."
    "Terrified, actually."
     I quickly looked at him in shock and was met with a mischievous side eye. After being satisfied by my reaction he moved his gaze back to the horizon.
    "We're not scared of you," he continued, "But we are curious. I don't see you as a monster. Quite the opposite, actually."
    He looked into my eyes and I could see that they'd softened with each word. They raced back and forth between mine and it felt like they were telling me a million things. I shifted my focus between his lips and his stare as I tried to figure out what he meant.
    He quickly turned away and shoved his hand in his pocket.
    "Oh, yeah," he said as he glanced down. "Forgot I had this. Your friend Shannon gave me something of yours."
    He rustled through his pocket and held a closed fist out to me.
    "When did-"
    "Before the mission he came up to me looking for you. He wanted to give this to you," he said as he motioned with his head for me to take whatever it was that he had.
    I held my palm out and felt something hard drop into it.
    I pulled the item toward me and examined it.
    It was a golden ring with a bird etched into the side. It was the ring I lost after my head injury. It was the ring my mother gave my father.
The one she died for.