the Bastard and the Blade

Over a decade ago...

{Levi's POV}

I was counting my cash at the dining table of our house.
I had just gotten back from getting my revenge on Amari for giving me counterfeit money. I had slashed his eye and stole all of the money he had, and it wasn't hard. I snuck in (almost) undetected. I wasn't going to have anyone rip me off, especially with the shit he put me through.
"You don't think he'll send his men after us?" Furlan asked with wide eyes as he stared at the cash I had in my hands. He had just gotten back from his own job, and had already tucked his money away safely.
"Maybe... but he'll lose his good eye," I said flatly. Furlan nodded his head as his eyes stared absently across the table.

     I couldn't be too upset that he was worrying so much

I couldn't be too upset that he was worrying so much. It was kind of his job to worry since Isabel was too ditzy and care free and I was too busy making money and keeping to myself to worry. I knew I was the strongest, anyway, and it wasn't uncommon for thieves and crooks alike to try and break into our place.
I rose to my feet and walked over to the corner of the room and lifted the loose board in the flooring. I stuck my money in the cobweb filled hole and felt my innards turn at the feeling of its staticky nature before pushing the board back down.
"Where's Isabel?" I asked as I began washing my hands in the sink with a disgusted look on my face. I hadn't seen her since the morning, and usually she was back before either of us were... unless she got into trouble. She had a bad habit of messing with the wrong people or taking too long to conduct business, and it was usually my job to get her out of it.
It was annoying, but I couldn't help but love the kid.
"I don't know... Haven't heard from her all day. She was suppose to be stealing from the local merchants, today."

    "Local merchants, huh?" I asked absently as I wiped my hands on the kitchen cloth

"Local merchants, huh?" I asked absently as I wiped my hands on the kitchen cloth. I picked up my knife from the counter and placed it on my belt before walking toward Furlan.
I let out an exasperated sigh before adjusting my cravat.
"Are we going to go look for her?" He asked with concerned eyes as he glanced at my knife. I walked past him and set my hand on the door knob, where I turned back to him with tired eyes.
"What do you think?"
Furlan nodded his head and let out a sigh. It felt like we were always coming to Isabel's rescue. She was bright, but not that bright. She had a bad habit of pissing people off with that feisty mouth of hers, and hadn't quite gathered the importance of stealing discreetly.
Furlan and I set out to find her.