CHAPTER 15: The Langley Siblings

Start from the beginning

Nestled in the heart of a valley lay this once bustling town, now a ghostly shell of its former self. The wooden buildings, weathered and worn by time, stood in eerie silence, their doors hanging off their hinges and windows shattered.

The steady rhythm of the horse's hooves and the creaking of the wagon's wheels echoed through the desolate streets, breaking the silence that had long settled over the abandoned town. The children, who once regarded the world with vacant stares, now glanced around in a mix of awe and trepidation, their movements restricted by the metallic prison.

The slave merchants, their eyes darting around for any sign of danger or opportunity, led the way through the eerie streets. The two wild dogs, sniffing around for any trace of food or prey, kept close to their masters, their movements alert and predatory.

One of the men rested his hand on his sword as they passed by the remnants of past monster invasions—traces of fur, claw marks, broken fences, overturned carts, and churned-up ground.

"What's up with this place?" one of the men muttered, voicing the question that hung in the air like a dark cloud.

"Yeah—where is everyone?" another wondered aloud.

"Were the people all slaughtered by monsters?"

Daisuke's brow furrowed as he scanned the abandoned streets, searching for answers. No, if that were the case, we would have seen dried blood, or at least a few skeletons laying around.

The leader, his gaze fixed on a distant hill, broke the silence with a grim explanation. "After facing condemnation from the kingdom, most, if not all, regions ceased trading with the Percivals and their domain. The sudden disruption in the supply chain affected everyone from farmers to artisans, compelling them to abandon the town and seek refuge elsewhere."

***

A large manor stood amidst a serene countryside. It was once a sight to behold, but now it bore the scars of a fallen noble legacy.

The imposing structure, with its majestic architecture and elegant turrets, hinted at a glorious past, when the Percival family enjoyed a prominent place in society, their wealth and scientific pursuits admired and highly sought after.

However, the passage of time was unkind. The manor's glory had waned, its luster dimmed, and the signs of neglect were evident. Vines, wild and untamed, curled around the stone walls, reclaiming their space with an almost defiant grace.

Under the Slave Traders' command, the children formed a neat line in the courtyard of the manor. Percival, flanked by a retinue of guards, carefully scrutinized each youngster. He examined their bone structure, skin condition, and dental health with a clinical eye.

Despite the tantalizing proximity of the open forest just beyond the courtyard, not a single child dared to make a break for freedom. It was useless. The wild dogs akin to hounds were glaring at them with bared teeth, daring anyone foolish enough to attempt an escape.

Around the necks of the dogs were grisly trophies—the skulls of those who had dared to defy the Slave Traders and had paid the ultimate price. It served as a stark reminder that their lives and liberty were now forfeit.

With a composed smile, Daisuke placed a hand above his heart and bowed deeply as the former Baron approached. "The esteemed Reginald Alden Percival—I've heard great things about your work. It's an honor to make your acquaintance."

"Oh?" the man looked him over with an unreadable expression before craning his head to the side.

The leader of the merchants grasped the unspoken cue. "We found him in Dusthaven, leading a gang of young thieves."

Percival absorbed this revelation, then turned his head to face Daisuke once more. He observed the graceful bow the silver-haired youth maintained, his silence lending weight to his scrutiny. The boy's demeanor and eloquence hinted at a background worth probing.

"You appear far too astute to be a simple commoner," Percival remarked. "Who are you, truly?"

Daisuke retained his perfect ninety-degree bow, his left hand gracefully resting on his lower back. "I am Julian Nathaniel Langley," he replied smoothly, "though in these circumstances, I have adopted the moniker Haxks. My family fell victim to blackmail and was subsequently sold into slavery, compelling me to employ any means necessary for survival."

The merchant leader frowned.

"Langley," Percival mused, the name failing to stir any recognition. "I'm afraid it doesn't ring a bell."

"I'm not surprised," Daisuke responded calmly. "A family of your stature wouldn't likely be acquainted with mine. The Langleys were a modest and unassuming household, overseen by a rural countryside lord."

"And her?" Percival's gaze slid towards the diminutive figure draped in an ostentatious dress, positioned mere inches from the boy.

"My younger sister—Aprilena Elise Langley," Daisuke fabricated smoothly, his countenance a mask of sincerity. "Thankfully, we managed to stay together."

"Mmm. Aprilena," Percival purred, his lips parting slightly as his eyes roamed over her figure with a salacious hunger, savoring every detail.

Petrified, April clung to her fake brother, the man's lust almost a physical and unwelcome caress. Daisuke's body tensed in outrage, but it didn't reach the perfectly sculpted mask of his face.

Percival instructed his butler to escort the siblings to their designated guestrooms, while the remaining children were swiftly transferred into the custody of the slave master.

The leader of the merchants observed the proceedings with a blend of disdain and detachment. Fool, he muttered inwardly, shaking his head. I can't believe he fell for that pathetic excuse for a cover story. Che. Well, it's no longer my problem as longas the payment is secure.