CHAPTER 23: Sheba's Selfless Resolve

Daisuke slowly rose to his feet, his pulse thundering in his veins at Reginald's ominous words. For a moment, the transmutation circle and the abomination it sculpted didn't matter. All he could think about was the wretched fate that awaited him and the others because they stepped out of line.

"I was fully aware of your deception from the very beginning," confessed Reginald with a wicked smile. "But I didn't mind; what intrigued me was the mysterious aura you exuded—it was like you were an enigma, some sort of anomaly.

You thought you were taking advantage of me, but I'm afraid it was quite the other way around. I had a hunch that keeping you close would somehow lead to a breakthrough in my work. And," he grinned widely as a fierce and beastly roar echoed from the materializing monster, "it seems I was correct."

The man's final set of words entered Daisuke's ears in an undertone as he sprinted out the door and down the long corridor.

Reginald, on the other hand, had no room for fear. He felt nothing but gratification for his creation, and was reassured that the master-slave dynamic woven into the transmutation formula would win him complete fealty of the chimera.

A hearty chuckle erupted from his throat, his eyes gleaming with anticipation for the impending cataclysm he was destined to unleash upon the royal capital.

"Yes! I've finally done it! You're the culmination of centuries' worth of blood, sweat, and research! Now I'll finally be able to show them! I'll let them regret the day they decided to tarnish my family's honor!"

Standing at an imposing height of over two meters, the grotesque, humanoid creation loomed over its maker. Its visage resembled an unfathomable abyss, while a pair of blazing red eyes seethed with tangible fury.

Whether fueled by the malice of Percival's mother, the collective loathing of his victims, or simply driven by the instincts of a mindless beast, the abomination surged forward in a grisly assault.

Reginald's breath caught in his throat as he was forcefully knocked to the ground, pinned beneath the weight of a massive, spiny arm. Razor-sharp claws gradually tore into his flesh, piercing skin and muscle as the fiend exerted relentless pressure.

"Keuuugh!" Percival cried out in dismay. "Wh-what are you doing?! I created you! I'm your master, so why aren't you obeying me?! Uwwaahhhk!"

A blood-curdling scream erupted from his throat as two rows of deadly teeth clamped down around his arm. With a wrenching pull of its thick, elongated neck, the limb began to tear at his elbow, sending waves of agony coursing through Reginald's body. Beads of sweat formed on his forehead, his bulging eyes reflecting a maze of veins.

CRICK-CRACK!

The bone suddenly shattered, followed by the sickening sound of muscles, tendons, veins, flesh, and skin tearing apart like plastic. A geyser of blood erupted forth, baptizing the monster in a bitter twist of fate.

Unyielding lines of terror and anguish creased Reginald's face as he frantically clutched his severed arm, attempting to stem the gushing blood. His complexion darkened as he peered into the dark abyss of the creature's maw, watching in horror as its blood-smeared teeth tore the limb to shreds before disappearing down its throat. Then the beast let out a hiss, fiery eyes locked onto the remaining arm of its squirming prey.

"Hiiiick!" Reginald squealed like a pig.

All of a sudden, the beast snapped its head to the side. Its reptilian tail armed with spikes shot out like a whip to attack an uninvited guest. It let out a pained shriek, however, when the appendage was severed and fell limply to the ground.