There were some panicked shouts around. The locals were running in to defend but they all stopped and stood still somewhere just outside a perceived barrier – in the grass, bushes, other side of the street.

The man's screaming was peeling his throat raw. He was hugging, then clawing at himself. Something like a bulbous worm ripped through the clothes and buried itself back in the flesh. Were those his organs? The man kept on bawling, twisting, trying to catch the monster surfing round and round through the meat like water.

More people came out and shouted something too. I wasn't overly concerned. Sure, the sight was absolutely alarming and probably dangerous, but I was somewhat concussed and mostly worried about the other, bigger monstrous presence looming over me. And I wanted to touch him so bad.

My monster completely ignored fussy surroundings as though he wasn't a part of the chaotic scene and definitely not the cause of it either. He was so close. Tentatively I reached out and my fingertips brushed that ridiculous claw sticking out of the boot. I sighed in relief and closed my eyes. There was not a trace of previously experienced pleasure. Not even a shiver. But it soothed the craving to run my palms down his skin. Now if only I could stop myself from grabbing the oversized nail with all my might next, that would be nice.

I did feel something, I realised. The fog lifted and throbbing in the skull eased. He noticed, then. I removed my fingers immediately and pretended it didn't happen.

"Can you do your thing little less loudly?" I rubbed my temple with one hand and waved in the vague direction of the screaming spectacle with the other. Man's raspy screech cut off almost immediately. He still gurgled and wheezed, worm squelched and sloshed, but I was able to think. I exhaled and discarded any unnecessary ponderings.

"Did you have fun?" I asked with a smile, pretending to be somewhere else entirely and talking to normal people.

"No. Their effort was pathetic. Some just ran. Mouth is dealing with those," the growl sounded terribly inconvenienced. I resisted cringing or rolling my eyes.

"Well that's what you get for playing with your food!" I chastised monster from my dignified crumple on the ground, still in the presence of inexplicable pain. Somehow I wasn't all that daunted. More surprised. This was in direct assistance to me, right?

"But that makes it so much more worthwhile," deeper growling made goose bumps rise and I finally managed to remember that that's all I was to this exotic animal, too. Entertainment. Food.

The monster bent down – actually, like a human – and his hand landed on my sore face. I tensed up, but not exactly out of fear. The move itself was confusing as fuck. He never moved if he didn't need to - unless it was for show. Sure, I felt my injuries mending, but he could have whipped out a tendril, touched with the foot or just waited for me to get up.

I looked away from the darkness of the hood. I don't know why I kept affixing my gaze onto it, not like there were eyes to meet mine or even a face. Well fine, maybe some face? I had no idea, but for sure none of it was functional anyway. Should I be looking at his chest instead, where he kept the voice?

In actuality I should not be sitting right under this oppressive presence.

"Oh, a cigarette!" I was thrilled to find the still smudging stick on the ground and reached out, scuttling away. Put it in my mouth. Disappointingly, half of it gave out. The candles were all kicked away and trampled. What a waste. "I don't suppose you got fire?" I asked the demon half-heartedly.

The creature crouched down on his haunches. The human hand went up again and each finger lit up in different coloured flames. There was neon green, aggressive pink, wispy blue, dim purple and even dimmer violet. "Ooh, pretty! Impressive, meat monster."