021 Too Far Gone

Twenty-One, Too Far Gone.

       Everything was back to normal— well as normal as it could get

Everything was back to normal— well as normal as it could get. There was no illness floating around the prison, no surprise walker attacks, no more fences falling in. The past day or so they had spent cleaning up, getting rid of the bodies that littered the courtyard from when the fence caved in with the recent build-up of walkers, all the dead from D-Block, those who unfortunately didn't survive, had been buried out by their makeshift graveyard and the prison was slowly getting back on track.

Adeline was externally thankful to be reunited with her daughter after their short time apart, finally being able to embrace her in a warm hug and reassure her everything was going to be alright.

Seeing the rest of the group slowly get back on track to a semi-normal life, inspired her to finally reconcile with Rick and make things right again, normal.

So approaching Rick, who was back to work on his crops, she planted a grin on her face, one she hadn't had on since before the incident in the guard tower, and smiled down at him.

Rick was crouched in front of his soybeans, ensuring they were correctly planted? She didn't really know. Carl stood at his side, watching his father attentively and mirroring his actions.

"Hey," Adeline beamed, nodding to both Carl and Rick, unusually happy.

"Hey, Addy," Carl replied, whereas Rick didn't bother to, keeping his eyes on his treasured crops rather than the woman.

Her smile slightly faltered, seeing him blatantly ignore her presence.

"Hey, Carl, could I speak to your dad for a moment?" The brunette politely requested, and the young boy let out a huff but ultimately complied, tossing his farming gloves to the ground beside his father and stomping up the hill.

Rick still hadn't averted his eyes from the ground, practically refusing to face the woman.

"Rick?" Adeline pressed, repeating his name a third time before he finally stood up, a scowl on his face as he wiped his hands on the back of his pants.

"What?" He rudely snapped, squinting his eyes down at her menacingly. Only causing her to become uncomfortable and squirm under his gaze.

"Rick, please. We have to— we need to talk. . . About that night." She begged, her voice guarded but vulnerable, an unimaginable amount of walls put up to protect her from this conversation.

"No, we don't, Adeline." Rick's harsh voice ripped through her, his tone contrastingly quiet to its usual one, taking a step towards her and keeping their conversation between them despite no one being around. "It was a mistake. You were a mistake. It won't happen again. What we need," He repeated her previous words, cruelly snapping at her as he tilted his head to the side, "Is for you to stay away from me."